Atlantic Provinces road trip

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScubaGypsy

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I'm planning a September scuba road trip with stays in New Brunswick, PEI, Nova Scotia and Newfoundland. Our trip includes a mix of shore dives and charters in NS and NLL. Among the questions I have are the following,

- Does Canada require a lobster license for divers? Assuming so, how should I proceed with application?
- What about speafishing license?
- Are dive flags required for shore dives?
- Is night diving permitted?

Appreciate any insights that folks can provide.

I am sorry that I am unable to answer your question regarding lobster fishing however I would like to know if you plan on diving Gaspe/Perce QC? I really want to dive Perce and have read that the diving is spectacular. If you do, I would love to read a trip report and see the pictures (top/under)......I am seriously considering a driving trip out there when my son is a little older.

As for a flag, any of the diving I did in NS, I never had a flag and I did do one night dive at Paddy's Head in Indian Harbour (near Peggy's Cove).....was a great dive. All but one of my dives was led by a couple locals but that does not mean that they may not have been following the rules......YMMV

I would like to know if you plan on diving Gaspe/Perce QC? I really want to dive Perce and have read that the diving is spectacular. If you do, I would love to read a trip report and see the pictures (top/under)......I am seriously considering a driving trip out there when my son is a little older.

Not planning on diving in QC on this trip but perhaps in the summer of 2014. The "Empress" is certainly on my bucket list. I am planning this September trip with my oldest son.

As for a flag, any of the diving I did in NS, I never had a flag and I did do one night dive at Paddy's Head in Indian Harbour (near Peggy's Cove).....was a great dive. All but one of my dives was led by a couple locals but that does not mean that they may not have been following the rules......YMMV

Interesting as I had assumed a flag was required. Sure would be nice if not.

Interesting as I had assumed a flag was required. Sure would be nice if not.

As I stated, I dived with 3 different locals (only 1 of them was a dive professional) and none of them used a flag. That does not guarantee that they were following the rules.

I seem to remember someone telling me that fishing lobster in any way in NB and NS is prohibited without a commercial fishing licence.

I'm planning a September scuba road trip with stays in New Brunswick, PEI, Nova Scotia and Newfoundland. Our trip includes a mix of shore dives and charters in NS and NLL. Among the questions I have are the following,

- Does Canada require a lobster license for divers? Assuming so, how should I proceed with application?
- What about speafishing license?
- Are dive flags required for shore dives?
- Is night diving permitted?

Appreciate any insights that folks can provide.

I can help with some of your questions particularly with respect to diving in NL.

- Lobster licenses are not available to divers in Newfoundland and Labrador or the other Atlantic provinces. Don't be temped; the penalties are very stiff (ie: you'll be taking the bus home if you're caught).

- I haven't confirmed this with DFO but from experience in Newfoundland you can take non restricted species (flounder, skate and mussels for that matter) any way you wish. You cannot take cod outside the food fishery period and during that period not by spear. Having said that in 25 years of diving here, I've yet to see anyone spearfishing. I've often taken skate and flounder but always by hand. Spearfishing cold water fish is not particularly sporting (IMO).

- Dive flags are not required but are strongly recommended in coves with any amount of vessel traffic. I generally choose a location with little to no activity and send up a SMB during the ascent. Of course there are areas that are off limits to diving such as commercial terminals and wharfs which you wouldn't want to dive in any case.

- Night diving is definitely permitted (shouldn't be missed) with the exceptions given above.

While the weather in Newfoundland is still quit good throughout September, you'll want to be aware of the forecast. The wind can change relatively quickly and sites exposed to an onshore wind can be tricky to downright dangerous. That said you'll experience some great diving here. Dive safe and enjoy.

I can help with some of your questions particularly with respect to diving in NL.

Thank-you so much Newfie for the insights! I've booked 3 days of charter dives out to the Bell Island wrecks with Ocean Quest for our Newfoundland stays as we plan to camp at Butter Pot park. Been reviewing past reports and pictures of the 4 wrecks and am very excited to dive them. Do you know the status of diving in the Bell Island mine?

We are also booked up one day on a double wreck charter out of Halifax but the rest of our dives will be shore based.

- Lobster licenses are not available to divers in Newfoundland and Labrador or the other Atlantic provinces. Don't be temped; the penalties are very stiff (ie: you'll be taking the bus home if you're caught).

Oh this part I am sad about! Will be looking to eat some lobster locally regardless.

- I haven't confirmed this with DFO but from experience in Newfoundland you can take non restricted species (flounder, skate and mussels for that matter) any way you wish. You cannot take cod outside the food fishery period and during that period not by spear. Having said that in 25 years of diving here, I've yet to see anyone spearfishing. I've often taken skate and flounder but always by hand. Spearfishing cold water fish is not particularly sporting (IMO).

Do you have tautog around? Black sea bass?

- Dive flags are not required but are strongly recommended in coves with any amount of vessel traffic. I generally choose a location with little to no activity and send up a SMB during the ascent. Of course there are areas that are off limits to diving such as commercial terminals and wharfs which you wouldn't want to dive in any case.

We plan on shore diving some of the popular coves in New Brunswick, PEI and NS. I'm hopeful to find any such coves on the western side of NL, any suggestions?

- Night diving is definitely permitted (shouldn't be missed) with the exceptions given above.

Fully noted and glad to hear!

Thanx again for your replies, we are very much looking forward to our visit.

I'm hopeful to find any such coves on the western side of NL, any suggestions?

Gros Morne National Park (Rocky Harbour, NL area) apparently has some wonderful diving although I do not know if that is shore or boat diving. Having never dived there myself, I can only say that currents can apparently be quite strong at times. Where I read that said it was worth it......but currents like that mean it is not likely shore based diving.

food for thought.

Do you know the status of diving in the Bell Island mine?

As far as I know the Bell Island mine has not been dived since the very unfortunate fatality on one of the initial dives.

Do you have tautog around? Black sea bass?

No I'm afraid not. We do have a lot worth taking but by spear on scuba it just seems like cheating :wink:

We plan on shore diving some of the popular coves in New Brunswick, PEI and NS. I'm hopeful to find any such coves on the western side of NL, any suggestions?
Yes, there are quite a number of sites. The shore dive sites that I am familiar with on the west coast are in the area of the Bay of Islands and Gros Morne but I'm afraid they are over 250 km to the north of the Port aux Basque ferry terminal. If you do plan to travel to Gros Morne (which is well worth the trip) let me know and I'll give you more detail.

There are a number of wreck dives off Isle aux Morts, a community roughly 20 km from Port aux Basque, but I've only dived from them by boat. Incidentally, Ocean Quest is organizing a charter to Isle aux Morts for the end of this month. The timing may not work for you but they may be able to put you in touch with someone local who can take you out.

Newfie, where do people get fills on the west coast? I have family near St George's/Stephenville crossing and I have been trying to get info on diving there. Planning to spend some time with family in Sept/Oct.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom