hawaiian lava dives?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

deerboy

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
is there a dive operator that offers a dive near the flowing lava off of the big island of hawaii?

I do not think you'll find any reputable dive operators who'll take you out there. I had the same idea until I looked into it. It seems that the idea of diving anywhere near the place where the lava flows into the sea is a very bad idea.
When the lava hits the sea water it makes acid, ( I don't remember which type) which mixes around the area, and is very damaging to dive equipment and the person in it. You would not want to get it on your skin, or in your eyes, as it really hurts! at least when I got some in my eyes above water. In addition, The vapors that are rising off the water or leathal if you happen to breath it, the water is not uniformly warm as one would think, it has VERY hot pockets, that can scald the dickens out of a diver, the water is usually very cloudy, the lava tends to have small internal explosions due to methane inside the lava igniting that will send out shrapnel pieces of rock, the new material avalanches into the ocean at irregular intervals, up to a few acres at a time and the surf... I have never seen calm on that stretch of ocean. I never found anyone who would even think taking a diver out in that area. Too much liability. I even think the National park has restrictions about boats even getting close to that area.

thanks for the info. i figured that it was a long shot. makes sense that it would be very dangerous. but i knew that someone out there in scuba board land would be able to give me the facts. i guess we can just watch that stuff on discovery and be satisfied with that. thanks again

deerboy

At one time you could arrange it, but no longer, and for good reason. It is extremely dangerous.

Stay golden.

DocVikingo

I could be wrong here, but I do believe that at the current time, the lava has stopped flowing into the sea. Most of the activity is up on the Rootless shield, cookie monster area around Pu'o'o vent. I follow it daily at the HVO web site

At one time, Nautilus Dive Center in Hilo used to run a dive trip out there, but they're
not doing that right now; the lava flows form unstable benches at the surf entry and
they frequently collapse; this would be a Bad Thing(tm) to have drop on your head
while diving!

http://www.nautilusdivehilo.com/lava_dives.htm

Dive safe -

... explains why I always see the same video clip of underwater magma OVER and OVER and OVER again. Wonder what happened to that '80's photographer...

i appreciate all the input. a friend of mine had asked me if a lava dive was possible and i told him that i am sure that the scuba board folks would know. we are headed there this summer and want to find some really unique and special dive locations so thats why it crossed his mind. thanks again.

deerboy

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom