Relaxing place to stay in Roatan

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

toofunnie

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
Hello,
My husband and I just booked our flights to Roatan for a trip from 11/16-11/24. We are super excited! We love to snorkel and love the ocean! What we are looking for is the perfect place to stay in Roatan for us. We want something close to resturaunts yet somewhat quiet for our lazy days. Our ideal place would be a home on the beach with a pool but if we can't have a pool we are good with that too. We have been looking thru so many rentals that we are starting to get confused. We are thinking of renting a car so any ideas on that would be great too.

Thank you for any help you can give us!

Hello,
My husband and I just booked our flights to Roatan for a trip from 11/16-11/24. We are super excited! We love to snorkel and love the ocean! What we are looking for is the perfect place to stay in Roatan for us. We want something close to resturaunts yet somewhat quiet for our lazy days. Our ideal place would be a home on the beach with a pool but if we can't have a pool we are good with that too. We have been looking thru so many rentals that we are starting to get confused. We are thinking of renting a car so any ideas on that would be great too.

Thank you for any help you can give us!

Check out Cocolobo - I've stayed there and it was pretty fantastic. Call and see if Ron and Bonnie are still there, if so I give it a strong recommendation. Doesn't have a pool but has your other options.

Hi There,

My wife & just spent 9 days at Turquoise Bay Resort on the North shore. Turquoise Bay has a pool & a neighboring bar/ restaurant with a good all inclusive meal plan. Subway Watersports is a GREAT dive shop on sight and does 4 dives a day (night dives are weather permitting). From the north shore you have access to well-known sites such such as the "El Aguila" shipwreck and caverns like "Dolphin Den".
Turquoise is about 20 km from the Juan Manuel Galvez Int'l Airport. The roads on the island can be narrow and pitted with potholes, but the route from airport to hotel was fairly safe. If you rent a car you have freedom to dive off the south side to great sites like "Gold Chain", Mary's Place, and "Cemetery Wall" with Barefoot Cay Dives, which is 8km from Turquoise.

Hope this was some help!

-Rich

---------- Post added August 18th, 2013 at 11:57 PM ----------

Also, there is good snorkeling around Turquoise if you are not certified. Our captain found us a pod of dolphins before a dive and there was a whale shark in the area. Subway Watersports has a variety of scuba training programs if you become interested.
We didn't stay at Anthony's Key Resort (north shore) or any of the western shore hotels, but those may be worth looking into as well.

-Rich

Check out Anthony's key. And snorkel with the dolphins! Awesome. There is a pool and bar in the middle of the key and the decks of the rooms sit out over the water.

Most of the restaurants are in the West End so you'd be better off finding something closer. But not too close as the West End can be louder later in the week. Possibly in Sandy Bay. There's a small group of maybe a dozen smaller houses in a private community there off Spooky Channel - they have their own private dock. IDK if any of them have a pool though. We had looked at staying there b4 we rented a house closer to the West End. You'll probably have to rent something with 2BR's since there's not a lot of one BR. rentals on the beach. This search picks them out, they're the ones listed near the end in Sandy Bay. Roatan 1-2 Bedrooms Vacation Rentals From VRBO - Vacation Rentals By Owner

There's a couple local restaurants within walking distance and a small market somewhere nearby. Anthony's Key is 2mins. away also. But it's an AI so probably only useful for the dolphin dives unless you stay there. The West End is 10mins. drive from Sandy Bay, most of the restaurants/shops/nightlife is in that area. Many of the dive operators also. And two smaller markets. Although I don't recommend renting a car on Roatan for liability issues, from there you probably should. The larger food stores are mostly in French Harbor and that's 20-30mins. away.

There are some smaller condo's at Lawson Rock also - it's an upscale community with it's own beach and pool. About 10mins. drive from the West End. Here's one:
Lawson Rock Vacation Rental - VRBO 471315 - 1 BR Roatan Condo in Honduras, Anniversary Get-Away? This is the Place; Convenient, up-Scale, Peaceful & Secure

You might also rent more house than you need and stay at Luna Beach Resort. They have a pool, beach, and a snorkel trail. It's also an AI resort. And ten minutes the other direction from the West End. It's 1/2 way between the West End and West Bay where the really nice beach is - and other restaurants. LBR has 3BR "tree houses" that are very nicely done with full appliances etc. They're up the hill from the resort so secluded. Also they'll rent one to a couple:
small enough for a romantic escape for two in the jungle.
Lodging | Luna Beach Resort, Best Scuba Diving on Roatan

I rented a house (Sea Lodge)in the West End thru Roatan Vacation Rentals | Beach Houses Condos Villas | Holiday Rental Home Listings in Roatan Honduras Most of their properties are in the Sandy Bay/West End/Bay area.

The two better known snorkel spots in that area are off Half Moon Bay resort or off the west point of West Bay Beach. We always saw snorkelers daily off HFBR. It's about 60' out from the east side of the public part of Half Moon Bay Beach also.

Cocolobo doesn't have a beach either - it's on ironshore. As is the house I rented (Sea Lodge) which is practically next door. Nothing on the east point of Half Moon Bay has a beach. It's about a 6' vertical drop to the water from the cliff. Half Moon Bay beach itself is a 5min. walk though. But pretty broken up by dive docks, bars, resort beach areas etc.

Reactions: Doc
Cocoview.

Have you discovered Las Sirenas Hotel & Condos on West Bay Beach? It's an upscale resort located on one of the most gorgeous beaches in the Caribbean. They offer rooms, suites and condos. The condos are equipped with kitchens and there are restaurants all around...you could enjoy the best of both worlds :D

Las Sirenas Hotel & Condos, Roatán, Honduras

Back
Top Bottom