How good is Verde Island...?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wiggsy

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
Thinking of taking my buddies over to Anilao south of Manila in the Philippines and it seems Verde Island is only 30 minutes away (by speedboat). The area seems to have a lot going for it - not the least of which is no overnight stop at Manila and no domestic connections necessary (which saves a lot of time and $$). Looking at Aiyanar Resort - gorgeous looking new resort. Obviously Anilao is great muck/macro diving. We've dived Dumaguete and Apo before and less than half the group are photographers. The resort dives Verde Island and Puerto Galera also (both destinations I know little about). I was just wondering how would Anilao rate as a destination apart from the macro diving....do the blue water dive sites like the Verde Island walls stack up against Apo..? Are there also some good snorkelling sites around Anilao?

Was in Anilao for 11 days then Sabang for 7... but never got to dive Verde Island. I've heard from friends who have dived it that it is spectacular

I have dived Verde Island on two occasions with a gap of three years between visits. My last trip was earlier this year, and it was a lot better than I remembered... Perhaps because my skill level was greater. The visibility is stunning.. On a par with the Red Sea.. 50 to 60m.. Which is unusual for the Philippines. There are two dives either side of the point.. The first is a steep wall and the second a sloping coral garden. On my last visit it was not possible to cross from the wall to the garden because of the current. However, on the second dive we spent some time in the coral garden watching hundreds of shoaling fish in the current (pinching onto a rock to hold position). We then swam up towards the point, the dive guide signalled that we were going over the top, before the current took us and threw us over. Quite an experience!!! Some dive shops take the surface interval on the beautiful beach nearby and arrange a BBQ. This trip from Puerto Galera is weather dependent, and requires a sturdy Banka.

I dove it earlier this year. You know when you watch something like a National Geographic Special and they show you video that is just incredibly stunning, well that's Verde Island. I remember when I was on that dive thinking just that thought.

It's well worth the effort to go out there. I's really beautiful & not to be missed if you are comfortable with currents :)! We were fortunate to have no current, but I have heard it's often quite strong.

Verde Island is one of those must do dives if you are staying in puerto or even Anilao.
I think you would do better to start from one of the dive shops in puerto (sabang) and do a 2-tank dive there.
Less expensive and a shorter ride out and back.
From anilao it would be twice the price and probably a much longer boat ride.
Check into splitting your time between anialo and PG, both offer good diving.

Except PGaera is not exactly what i would call family friendly...

Is it quite easy/convenient to get a ferry between Anilao and PG? For example, could you dive in Anilao in the morning and get a ferry across in the afternoon?

Is it quite easy/convenient to get a ferry between Anilao and PG? For example, could you dive in Anilao in the morning and get a ferry across in the afternoon?

Theoretically yes, practically no.

Last year my friends and I stayed at Crystal Blue first then hired a Banka to go to PG after our Crystal Blue trip which took around 90 mins in calm(ish) waters.

The move from Anilao to PG was done over a morning and allowed us to dive with Asia Divers in the afternoon, which actually I opted out and had a lazy dry day (externally) and caught up with some friends at Asia divers.

In retrospect I wish we had done PG first and Anilao second, much better diving for critters at Anilao and longer dives too as we had our own boat and guide between three of us. Most dives at PG were strictly limited to 60 mins due to their 4 boat schedule, at Anilao we did a couple of 70+minute boat dives and a third afternoon shore dive usually around 90mins duration.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom