Pony bottle; replacement for, or in addition to octo?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Depends. For solo, I could see the argument that one fewer second stage on the main reg reduces the potential for failures/free flows and that the pony can be deployed by the diver in sufficient time to make it unnecessary. If, however, I'm going to have to worry about dealing with an OOA buddy that might go for the reg in my mouth first without worrying about how easily I can now deploy the pony...I'd probably keep the bungieed octo/long hose primary, even if I was using a pony for redundancy.

I have one regulator that I only use for solo diving. It does not include an octo.

I use my other regulators for both buddy and solo diving and do not change the configuration from one type diving to another.

In my case is does not. I dive solo often, but not exclusively. Sometimes I have buddies or solo, but around others (typical So Cal boat dives / shore dives).
That said, I tend to use my smaller pony's which while more than sufficient for me, they may not be big enough for a novice diver in a full on panic. He would run OOG 2x.
A secondary issue is in an air share I have 2 SPG's to monitor and 2 people to ascend, it's an invite to a cluster fck.
The last issue is I like my kit to be 100% consistent between dives. I am a safe diver not because I am talented or smart, but because I drill, drill and drill again.

By retaining my traditional octo on a necklace I have the best of both worlds at the cost on one extra hose.
If I do a traditional air share, I have one SPG to monitor, all is good and I still have the option of reaching down on using my pony for me to prevent 2 victims.
I do have the issue of mounting my pony and its 2nd stage so it is reachable, but not confusing for anyone. (I back mount, invert and bungy the reg to the pony).

Divers who use a larger pony or dive exclusively solo might come to different conclusions. They may think less is more and in some ways they may be correct.

I finally eliminated my octo since I dive solo with a pony. In the only two equipment failures that really mattered (over 50+ years), the octo would have done me no good but a totally redundant air supply would.

Consistent setup all dives but I have an in-line alternate air instead of standard octo so no extra hose either way.

+1 for consistant setup. Don't see the problem though. I've got one 2nd stage on my tank and one on the pony. Pony is ALL bright yellow (hose, octo, tank, carry strap, octo holder) with valve open during any dive. The octo holder is at my neck (right shoulder, actually) and can be pulled free easily - either by me or another (discussed and demonstrated pre-dive). Pony can be unclipped and handed off. The pony SPG then is no longer my responsibility.

Pony bottle; replacement for, or in addition to octo?

Pony IN ADDITION TO an octo. I have no reason to alter my configuration according to whether or not I carry a pony. I carry a pony as MY redundant air supply, not another diver's. I like having a second stage right under my chin, in the event the one in my mouth is somehow dislodged.

I sling a pony with bungeed second stage.

Depending on the dive it is either a 13 or 30 cu ft bottle, I usually dive solo.

Back
Top Bottom