looking for opinions on german yanez - cavern/cave instructor

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rick00001967

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
hello all
i may be returning to mexico this october and would really like to do the cavern course (TDI). i do have apersonal preference of who i would like to use but sadly i do not think he is available. i have only found one thread anywhere talking about german yanez. so i am hoping maybe some divers here can give me a thumbs up or thumbs down on this fella. and maybe the reasons why.
much appreciated
rick

Saw his name mentioned in an announcement from the NACD. He is a member of the NACD Training Committee. No personal knowledge, just copying what was released by the NACD...

German has been exploring underwater caves and dry caves for 20+ years. As an explorer and conservationist, he has discovered new cave species and various archaeological remains from the Mayan Culture on Cozumel. He is one of the main explorers of familiar cave systems such as Taj Mahal, Ponderosa (Eden), Aktun Ko, Aktun Chen (Dry Cave), La Quebrada (Chankanaab Park), Aerolito de Paraiso, Cocodrilo and has laid more than 80 thousand feet of exploration line.

German has been teaching for twenty years for the NACD, NSS-CDS, TDI, and CMAS and has certified more than 300 Cave, Mix Gas, and Rebreather Divers. He is the Safety Officer for the NACD and the NSS-CDS. German has also written articles and chapters for various books, journals, and instruction manuals and will also bring much knowledge and expertise to the committee. For more information on German, visit www.germanyanez.com.

I give him two thumbs up. I know a lot of other cave divers that would agree. I am pretty sure none of his students have died in a cave. Weird stat maybe but very relevant IMHO

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

None better than German. He is based on Cozumel, but I'm sure he would do cavern training on the mainland. Protec is also dynamite.

Big Thumbs Up for German! You could not find a better instructor over there for your cavern course. Here is a comment from the National Association for Cave Diving:

"Earlier we announced the change in the NACD Training Director. We also have two new Training Committee members. Please welcome Martin Robson from the UK and German Yañez from the Yucatan Peninsula in Mexico . The NACD members are fortunate to have representatives from Europe and Central America on the committee. They will be important to the NACD as it makes changes to the training program.

Martin enjoys wreck diving but cave diving is his passion. He is an NACD instructor who also teaches DPV, Stage, Survey, and Sidemount specialties. Martin also instructs through the NSSCDS, IANTD, and PADI. He was the first ever IANTD CCR Cave Instructor Trainer. Martin is on the Board of Advisors for IANTD and a Technical Field Consultant for PADI assisting with the development of their rebreather courses. Martin will bring a wealth of knowledge and experience to the Training Committee. For more information, visit www.eau2.com.

German has been exploring underwater caves and dry caves for 20+ years. As an explorer and conservationist, he has discovered new cave species and various archaeological remains from the Mayan Culture on Cozumel. He is one of the main explorers of familiar cave systems such as Taj Mahal, Ponderosa (Eden), Aktun Ko, Aktun Chen (Dry Cave), La Quebrada (Chankanaab Park), Aerolito de Paraiso, Cocodrilo and has laid more than 80 thousand feet of exploration line.

German has been teaching for twenty years for the NACD, NSS-CDS, TDI, and CMAS and has certified more than 300 Cave, Mix Gas, and Rebreather Divers. He is the Safety Officer for the NACD and the NSS-CDS. German has also written articles and chapters for various books, journals, and instruction manuals and will also bring much knowledge and expertise to the committee. For more information on German, visit www.germanyanez.com.

I have been in contact with him concerning some training for next year. He comes highly recommended!

I did my cavern and Intro classes with German. He is a lovely man, very kind and very patient. He also has one hell of a pedigree as a cave explorer.

He does not teach scenario-based classes, and compared with my GUE Cave 1, the cavern/intro combination was relatively easy -- not because he didn't have standards, but because we simply weren't stressed to the same degree.

I liked German a lot. I think if you have other stress-based training, or if you simply want skills refinement, a cavern class with him would be perfect.

I've thoroughly enjoyed cave diving with German, and highly recommend him.

M0017263.jpg

German enjoys a fine reputation as a cave instructor.

I did my cavern and Intro classes with German. He is a lovely man, very kind and very patient. He also has one hell of a pedigree as a cave explorer.

He does not teach scenario-based classes, and compared with my GUE Cave 1, the cavern/intro combination was relatively easy -- not because he didn't have standards, but because we simply weren't stressed to the same degree.

I liked German a lot. I think if you have other stress-based training, or if you simply want skills refinement, a cavern class with him would be perfect.

i do understand your position. i read the thread in which you were discussing this subject.

---------- Post added August 21st, 2013 at 05:56 PM ----------

there does seem to be a lot of support here. i am only leery because my instructor of choice was asked his opinion on german and another area instructor and although he knows both of them, he advised me not to use either. he would receive no benefit from saying this as he is not available. and i consider him to be a very honest and trustworthy individual

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom