Scuba Diver Caught Smuggling Drugs Across U.S.-Canada Border

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

maj2

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Scuba diver tries to smuggle marijuana underwater across St. Clair River | Windsor Star

A Canadian was caught last night trying to smuggle 8 pounds of marijuana across the St Clair River using scuba. He was greeted on the US side by the authorities.
My dive shop recognized the gear in the photo in the article as a rental set that was taken out by a newly trained diver a couple of weeks ago and never returned. They are now assured it will be returned, but for now is being held as evidence in the US. His new Open Water c-card is still at the shop. It will probably not be picked up for quite some time now...
Not sure, but I suspect that there is freighter traffic all night long. The article is not terribly clear as to whether the crossing was made as a surface swim, or if it was underwater. Either way, the current in that river is such that a 1km solo dive at 1 am across the current in a probable overheard environment (due to freighter traffic) would not be a dive that I would ever want to try-- new diver or not.

I'm impressed by his luck and abilities. A hell of a transit at night especially. Maybe he can get a job teaching UW compass skills. Pot should be legalized anyway. Let the guy off with a small fine.

He could not find an easier spot to cross the border between the US and Canada.. I thought 95% of that border is not patrolled and you can just walk across.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I wonder how he kept his munchies dry :hm:......he certainly will not be who I look to to represent Canada at any point.

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

I merged the threads and moved one from Basic since there are special rules in Basic.

He could not find an easier spot to cross the border between the US and Canada.. I thought 95% of that border is not patrolled and you can just walk across.

That was my first thought. My second thought was wondering why he bothered in the first place. His origin and destination both allow medical marijuana and from the people I know who live in medically legal states it is really easy to get licensed. Street value drops enormously in places when medical marijuana is approved. For the danger involved he would have been better off hauling 8 pounds of...something else.

Uhhh not quite. Crossing the border is a major PITA these days, even more so if you're not Canadian citizen. Even crossing the bridges on foot requires you to go through immigration both ways.

Uhhh not quite. Crossing the border is a major PITA these days, even more so if you're not Canadian citizen. Even crossing the bridges on foot requires you to go through immigration both ways.

Even in the forest of North Dakota or Montana? That is a very long isolated stretch to secure all of that. Sure a back packer could walk across.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Even in the forest of North Dakota or Montana? That is a very long isolated stretch to secure all of that. Sure a back packer could walk across.
That I don't know about. But all the over-water/highway crossings of Ontario, there's no way to get through without getting checked out by a border patrol officer.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom