What do zombie parrotfish eat?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

hdtran

Geography Police
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
This!

brain_coral_piratept_roatan_resized.jpg

(Brain coral)

I'm diving my brains out at CocoView this week.

84 F or so. I'm wearing a 0.5mm skin, and I'm perfectly fine, even on the night dives.

Cool, thanks, I packed a 1.5 shortie for next week

So, on my boat, there were: Lycra skinsuits (no neoprene), Lycra with a 3mm shorty, .5 skin, 3 mm, 5 mm, and one guy was wearing a 7/5 with a hood. Then, there were two guys who wore just shorts & a rash guard shirt.

If you're average for cold tolerance, your shorty will be fine.

Have a great time!

p.s. Why shouldn't you eat the CocoView garlic bread? Because it keeps the (vampire) batfish away. Apparently, there's a batfish in the channel near the Prince Albert wreck.

As usual, you're having way too much fun.

Even though, most months of the year, the South Side water temps are in that 82° range, there are some other things to consider, most especially at CocoView. hdtran might be getting 4 dives a day plus night dive. (quite likely, too!)

The way your body recovers between dives during the SI (surface interval) is a big factor, especially with being u/w for 5+ hours each day. Other factors include the weather (rainy or sunny?) and a very difficult one to perceive... how stable are the boats? If the boats are pitching about, your body is constantly adjusting and working, versus resting and recovering. CCV's boats are designed to ride out the waves (versus going fast under power).

Most first timers at CCV that have this temperature/insulation question are thrown a real curve with the heavy dive numbers that they can access. Repetitive dive schedules of this intensity are new to most and generally unavailable unless on a very few liveaboard boats.

Due to their shallow and extensive near-shore dive sites, ones with relatively less water exchange than that of the North/West sides, the water temps along the South are affected and increased more by the direct Sunlight exposure. You will usually find water temps 1 to 2 degrees higher on the South side, a factor which I see as absolutely insignificant, but something that many find of critical import. Once you know that it's in the low 80's, I also see very little difference between "surface" and "depth" readings, another number to which many attach great interest.

When you crack open the Encyclopedia and look up warm water pretty fish ® diving, there's a picture of CocoView, likely with hdtran doing a shore dive.

Last edited:
Warm water pretty fish are not the sole reason for diving at CocoView :wink:
CCV_Sole_resized.jpg

Okay.... Warm water pretty worms, then.

That was not a worm, that was a juvenile fish. The choice of picture was not a fluke.

p.s. To answer Doc's previous comment: 2 dives Saturday coming in, because I had the early flight, and I was a recent returnee who did not need the orientation. My first dive was a quasi-re-orientation anyway. 4 on Sunday (skipped the morning 2nd dive in order to meet the resident photographer and get a quick "how to white balance" clinic). 5 on every day since (2 morning boat, 2 afternoon boat, 1 night). I suppose if I were energetic enough, which I'm not, I could also get in a 6th dive by doing a twilight morning dive before breakfast. I'm told that it's different than a night dive. Visibility was just not there for the night dive tonight, with a whole bunch of worms out swimming in the water column. They were colorful (mostly red), but I, and my dive partners found them rather yucky. They were very attracted to the light, which made things murky.

That's a weird one... what kind of juvenile fish be that? (your caption says Baby Flounder?)

You got some of that Caribbean Sole?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom