Scuba near the Mauna Kea Beach Hotel - Kona, HI

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jkyle

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Anyone know a good dive boat near the Mauna Kea Beach Hotel?

Looking to do 2 days of diving plus a night manta ray dive

Thanks!

I stayed at the Mauna Kea this year. I went into Kona and used Jack's Diving Locker. I found that I could do a lot of beach diving for a fraction of the cost. Jack's rents equipment and will provide you with maps and a briefing on the shore diving. The night dive you need to do on a boat.

If you're staying at the Mauna Kea, which is on Kauanoa Beach, you're already in a good area for snorkeling / shallow diving. There are nice rocks at both the South and North ends of the beach, and at the North end, the hotel shines a light on the water at night. This attracts plankton which in turn attracts mantas. We snorkeled there not long ago with three juvenile mantas.

For your awareness, Jack's, and most dive operations, are about 30+ miles away.

10? mins. north of there is Kohala Divers. Scuba Diving in Hawaii with Kohala Divers
Or Waikoloa Coast Divers. is even closer - they keep their boat near the Hilton. Diving on the Kohala Coast with Waikoloa Divers

For the Manta Dives, I believe all the boats leave out of Honokohau (sp) harbor north of Kona. Jack's does it as a 2-tank with a twilight dive first. So be there about 3PM. Kona Diving Co. does something similar - IDK the timing. Big Island Divers also will do it as a 1 tank - be there by 5PM.

You also probably don't want to go to Waimea or towards Hilo after diving due to the elevation. Obviously not the volcano or the observatory either.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom