Has anyone done DMT with TSD in Malapascua?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hi guys!

(I posted the following in the Going Pro forum, but didn't get too many responses. Perhaps I was posting in the wrong place, so please bear with me trying my luck here!)

I've decided to do my DMT in SEAsia in early 2014 (possibly Jan/Feb). The plan is to find work as a DM, most likely also in SEAsia right after and do that for a while before possibly doing an instructor course. I've spent time doing some research online and reading many of the related posts in this forum. With regards to the DM course, I've also decided these are the things I'm prioritizing:

1) As much hands-on experience as possible with divers of different skill levels
2) Plenty of personalized attention from mentor/instructor
3) Positive working environment with sociable people
4) A good variety of dive sites, in terms of landscape and marine life
5) I'm not really a party person, so great nightlife isn't a priority for me (although a modest social scene would constitute a bonus).

I'm still in the stage where I'm gathering information and recommendations (I've compiled a list of sorts).
I have yet to do my EFR + Rescue, and need to beef up my dive count from 26 to 40. With regards to languages, I speak English as a first language and am also fluent in Malay and Bahasa Indonesia.

Many divers have recommended shopping for a school in person, which makes a whole lot of sense, but judging from my online research alone, at the moment Thresher Shark Divers in Malapascua stands out as a shop with an outstanding reputation in the Philippines, but the reviews I've read were written by fun divers, not DMTs. I would like to ask if anyone here has done their DM course with them and to share your experience if you have?

Hi there

I visited Malapascua in February and it truly was one of the most beautiful places I have ever been. I stayed and dived with Sea Exploreres , there was one DAY there who was having a wonderful time both in and out of work..I honestly cannot say enough good things about them as a guest.Divers I met said that TSD was extremely busy. So was Sea Explorers but it always felt very personal.

Another shop my husband and I love is Manta in Gili air , we are going back at Christmas and have met many many DMTs there who have raved about it.

I am not sure how relevant it is but the water in Malapascua is cold in January ....but then the thresher sharks are truly a world class sight.

Best of luck x

Back
Top Bottom