Dive computers and 3 dives in a day with different gases

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

johntclever

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I am wanting to do 3 dives in a day with multiple gases--dive #1 with air, dive #2 with nitrox and dive #3 with air.

Can I use a dive computer (Atom 3.1) to monitor my combined nitrogen loading/oxygen toxicity or do I need to somehow determine my safety limits with dive tables??

I am wanting to do 3 dives in a day with multiple gases--dive #1 with air, dive #2 with nitrox and dive #3 with air.

Can I use a dive computer (Atom 3.1) to monitor my combined nitrogen loading/oxygen toxicity or do I need to somehow determine my safety limits with dive tables??
Not sure about your computer but mine (Cobalt) will allow three different gases to be programmed. Here you really only need to program 2. I would just program air as 21% nitrox and then program your normal nitrox percentage. I would assume if you dove all three as nitrox your PPO2 should always be displayed during all dives. The nitrogen should be a given as you will see it as your NDL? Someone will correct me if I'm wrong but I think this is how my computer would work.

If your computer can do nitrox, then it should allow you to change gases between dives and will track nitrogen loading accordingly. If your computer won't do that, there's always tables and/or software to help you. iDeco Pro can be used in this capacity and is only a few dollar download for your smart phone (don't let the name fool you, it will help you plan recreational dives as well).

Sure you can. You may need to select "Nitrox 21% " rather than air for the first dive though.
Some (many?) computers will not allow a nitrox dive after an air dive.

My OC1 and my Datamask both allow for changing gasses between dives.

My Oceanic will change from air to Nitrox, but will not shift till the O2 tracking clears. If I go back to air I have to use 21% Nitrox.

Check the manual, that's how I finally figured out mine.

Bob
---------------------
I may be old, but I'm not dead yet

I keep my Suunto computer on Nitrox all the time, if I use air I choose 21% Nitrox as others have mentioned above.

As noted, set your computer to the gas mix you are using. But REMEMBER TO RESET IF for each dive This is a common omission , and can lead to trouble. Make it a part of your predive check list and buddy equipment check. What gas are your diving? Is your computer set for that gas? A quick question and reminder is a good idea.
DivemasterDennis

Back
Top Bottom