Alternatives to using a buttplate or weights on tanks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Progen

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
So I'm about 1.67 - 68 metres tall and the swivel snaps to my waist D-rings are about halfway down the cylinders which means that once they start getting floaty, my trim goes off quite noticeably.

I'm using a Razor style harness and was wondering whether besides mounting a buttplate to get the attachment points nearer to the base of the cylinders or weights to keep the ends down, are there any other alternatives I could try?

What are you using for tanks?

From the sounds of it I'd guess he's using al80's? I don't seem to have an issue with tanks getting floaty with the steel 75.5's I'm using.

What are you using for tanks?

Yeah, AL80s. Those are the only tanks available for rentals over here.

20130824_140758_284986.jpg 20130824_140758_239704.jpg

The inner D-rings on my waist were already almost at the buckle. Tanks were clipped to these. Not the outer ones. Also, all waist D-rings were low profile ones.

Using medium snaps which were tied very securely to the tank straps. No slack there.

Swivel snaps were rotated so that the left was about the 0200 position and the right around the 1000 one.

These photos were taken during my experiments with the ring bungee system but I get these trim problems with the bungee loop around the neck method too.

I hope I've read the thread correctly. A couple of cures we've used for floaty tanks, other than using steels, is either 1) add a shallow D ring to the waist belt closer to the buckle and reclip when tank gets low or 2) attach a small weight via tank strap to the tank.

Yes decompression. As mentioned in post 4, I am using low profile D-rings for all 4 on my waist. Even the outer ones are low profile ones since I dive warm water and only wear thin gloves.

As a last resort, I really might have to put a 1kg near the base of each tank although I can still maintain a safety stop (with some vigilance on my breathing) without any weights when I've breathed down both tanks to around the 40 - 50 bar mark.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom