2013-14 Lobster Season in Malibu

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

unclejsband

Registered
Reaction score
Hey all,

I have been spearfishing in Malibu for a little while now and want to try and snag some lobster. I freedive and would like to get lobster without using scuba. I know the season in SoCal starts 12am on September 27th. Does anyone have advice for specific dive spots in Malibu that would give me a good chance of snagging a few lobsters over the required size? I'm aware of the regulations, permits, and gear, and am just looking for a few locations. I have heard about Leo Carillo, Big Rock, and Corral but this advice was mostly regarding spearfishing, not lobster hunting.

Thanks,
Taylor

Avoid taking any lobster from the MPA, which runs from Paradise Cove point up to the pocket beaches. Last season was slim pickings in Malibu for lobster, kind of hit and miss. I think there is commercial lobster fishing outside of Santa Monica Bay, i.e., west of Pt Dume

Hmmm, it's taken me a while to understand, but I now realize how midnight on the 27th is actually the 28th. Ha.

So really the season starts at 12:00:01 on the 28th?

So really the season starts at 12:00:01 on the 28th?
From FAQs (Frequently Asked Questions)

Q. When does recreational lobster season start and end?
A. Recreational lobster season runs from the Saturday preceding the first Wednesday in October through the first Wednesday after the 15th of March. Here are the dates for the next two seasons:

• Saturday, September 29, 2012 through Wednesday, March 20, 2013
  • Saturday, September 28, 2013 through Wednesday, March 19, 2014
Reference Section 29.90(a) T14, CCR.
Q. When does recreational lobster season "technically" start - the actual time it opens?
A. Recreational lobster season opens at 12:00:01 AM on the Saturday preceding the first Wednesday of October and closes at 12:00:00 PM (midnight) on the first Wednesday after the 15th of March.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom