SCUBA Gear Assembly - Lubrication Choice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

philly777

Registered
Reaction score
Hi all!

Please advise what is the proper lubrication most people safely used for SCUBA gear assembly out the box when you connect HP, LP with all the gauges, octo, regulator, computer, etc. Please take into account that the gear will intended to be used with both Air and Nitrox. Thanks!

None. Is what I use when assembling a new reg. O rings on first stage end do not need any unless they are dried out.
If that's the case they got tossed and new ones put on. New ones have a residue of lube from the factory. At most a drop of lube on your finger rubbed with the thumb and then briefly rolling the oring in that is enough. If you can see more than a sheen you overdid it. The only orings that need really lubed are the HP spool orings. They are the ones that see movement as the spg swivels. I use christo or tribolube but if your reg will see no more than 40% nitrox or less the little plastic tins of silicone grease that many dive shops sell will work fine. Just don't get any in the holes. But a good layer of lube on the orings is called for. Not just a thin sheen as is common on other dynamic orings.
Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

maybe suggest do not over-tighten the connections - otherwise i agree with Dennis & Jim. If you're not sure on anything may want to consider having your LDS tech assemble it for you if they will since sounds like everything may have been bought online/used. Better safe than sorry at depth.

Hand tight then a smidge with a short wrench. That actually comes out to about 38 inch pounds when I do it. Verifed with a torque wrench. Recommended torque on most hoses at the 1st stage connection? 35 - 40 inch pounds. And I'd be leery of taking it to the LDS and saying here, assemble my reg that I bought on line. Now I have two that I'd be ok doing that with and know I wouldn't get any crap for it. But that's because they know me. And my big mouth with a strong on line presence. But that's if I wasn't ok with doing it myself.

I also know of one shop that'd likely charge 30 bucks to do it, one that would refuse on liablility grounds, and one that would likely tell a person to get out if they knew it was an on line purchase.

It ain't rocket science and I would expect it to be covered in a good OW class.

I am a service tech at a local scuba service centre in south africa. For normal regulators i use normal silicone ghreese that is slightly diluted with silicone oil (both have cenrtain codes).

For nitrox and pure oxygen use i use christo-lube, very small amounts.

I would highly recomend the use of either. After some time of no service some threads may lock up

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom