Big Island - shore and manta snorkel/diving in December

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

heehee62

Contributor
Reaction score
We're planning to go to the Big Island Dec 7-14. We've got both snorkelers and divers with us.

During the day time, is the water cold enough to require a wetsuit even while just snorkeling?

Are there going to be less mantas or a greater possibility of cancelation?

Also, I remember reading about a black sand beach area famous for lots of turtles somewhere close to the south point. Is the higher surf going to make that area impossible to snorkel?

I was thinking I'd look at the below link to see what surf conditions are like before I drive to a beach. What's considered bad surf for snorkeling though? Thanks.SwellWatch 3D - Surf Report and Forecast

There is NO freaking way I would be snorkeling on a beach favorite for turtles. Tiger sharks favorite meal is turtle......and snorkelers that look like slow turtles. Just sayin..
Yes South Point is very rough.
The manta's ebb and flow dependent on many environmental actions. Wetsuits are advisable.

Been to the Big Island twice. Not an expert. I get most of my island info from the "blue book," The Big Island Revealed. If you are not familiar, the whole series is very good and more credible than others. There is also an App available.

I would say do a wetsuit, not because of cold, but to protect against injury. Rubs against volcanic rock and coral can suck. For that, a full is better than a "shorty" suit!

Not sure what you mean by "Are there going to be less mantas or a greater possibility of cancelation?"

The best way to see mantas is at night. Super easy dive. You just sit there by the lights and they swim around you. I did my dive with Pacific Rim and was treated well. Both divers and snorkelers can do this!

The water temperature in Hawaii is a bit cooler than most folks expect. You'll definitely want a 3mm full suit for scuba. If you chill easily, a 5mm full is not overkill, but most people are "ok" with 3mm. I use a 3mm full (but I also wear a hood, which does make a big difference), my wife uses a 5mm full; my teenage daughters both use 3mm full, my teenage son is fine with a 3/2mm full.

Most folks are fine snorkeling with just a rash guard and swimsuit since you'll be warmer on the surface than at depth, but again if you chill easily a 2mm or 3mm suit would not be overkill.

Sea turtles can be seen at many dive sites.

The "risk" posed by tiger sharks is overblown. But yes, they are certainly here, we do have shark attacks from time to time, and the past couple years have seen a "bump" in shark attacks (a surfer was attacked on the Big Island a few weeks ago, and another recent attack resulted in a fatality on Maui). Surfers followed by snorkelers are the most at risk. Scuba divers are not usually at risk (statistically).

Enjoy your trip!

Garry, our VRBO host, said that the waves are higher in December and 2 Steps is one of the only place that is consistently sheltered, there are sea turtles there... That area is rocky... When getting out, put your palms straight across the rocks and not dig your fingers into the holes - as baby urchins live in all the holes in the Steps... :p

There is NO freaking way I would be snorkeling on a beach favorite for turtles. Tiger sharks favorite meal is turtle......and snorkelers that look like slow turtles. Just sayin..
Yes South Point is very rough.
The manta's ebb and flow dependent on many environmental actions. Wetsuits are advisable.

REALLY??? I think you've been watching too much Shark Week. Being in the water with turtles is a really fun experience. In a lot of places like where I am on Hilo side, you get loads of turtles that stay real close to shore in the shallows for feeding. Ive never heard of anyone seeing a shark there.

Where to snorkel and dive depends on what side of Hawai'i you're going to. City of Refuge south of Kona has some great snorkeling that is well protected. You can get a popular book called "Snorkeling in Hawai'i" that has a lot of spots of where to go with topography and visiting information.

I find Kona side a little cooler, I feel more comfortable in a 3mm over there. Otherwise I have done 2hr 45min dives in board shorts, a lavacore vest and loose fit rash guard and have been totally comfortable. Right now water temp is 79-80F, expect it to drop a couple degrees in the winter time. I would say you should be fine in a 3mm. Then again, 72F is WARM for me back home!

Mantas are year round. VERY rarely do they get 0 mantas on a dive. It averages about 3-5 mantas per dive. I did one last month and had 28 on our dive. It is still worth doing because you do a twilight dive before too. It is a great experience for snorkelers and divers alike. Go to Kona Diving Company, super friendly and professional, you won't be dissapointed. Home

Black sand beaches can be tricky. I would avoid Waipo Valley. There is a long 25% gradient so it is a killer hike to get to. Plus supposedly the river that goes into the ocean has some sort of harmful bacteria so you cant even go in the water there? I haven't been but I have friends that have and they told me to pass on it.

When you get here, you can walk into any dive shop and they can for sure recommend places to go. If you want to get a head start, I would check out this book Snorkel Hawaii: The Big Island Guide to the Beaches and Snorkeling of Hawaii, 3rd Edition: Judy Malinowski, Mel Malinowski: 9780964668096: Amazon.com: Books.

---------- Post added September 16th, 2013 at 12:22 AM ----------

My dive with 28 mantas
[video=youtube;XPjgTxzEEoM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XPjgTxzEEoM[/video]

Definitely use the forecasting sites to plan a few days ahead. I like MagicSeaweed.com but your site and others may be just as good. I find anything 1 ft or less to be pretty reliably good, above that, it depends on very local conditions and just how good/brave/foolish you are. Entries/exits get pretty dicey at almost any shore site once the swell gets much higher - Two Step/Honaunau is somewhat of an exception to that rule. Old Airport is also a south-facing spot that often works when many others are getting a NW swell. For snorkeling, wind is at least as important as swell, and afternoons are often windy. The animated forecasts that show the shifting wind and sea forecasts can be used to help answer the eternal question: "North or South?" when contemplating dive site selection when upcoming forecasts aren't clearly benign.

I go in early December nearly every year and I'd say it would be rare not to have at least a couple of good days in a week's stay, and not uncommon to have nearly every day divable. Boats are a better option than shore diving when the swell is up much.

You may not need a wetsuit for snorkeling, though I couldn't do much diving w/o at least a 3/2. South Point can be rough, but there's a cliff area on the lee side of the point, with ladders, that's fun for jumping and snorkeling when it's not. Winters are a bit better for the south side, I believe, but it can still be rough. If you go to the southeast side, below Hilo, snorkel the Kapoho tide pools - pretty cool.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom