Considering Hawaii for our next dive vacation - Advice Needed

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Offroad

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Planning our next diving vacation:

We've been to the Florida Keys, Cozumel and Bonaire multiple times and are considering Hawaii.
We normally seek out smaller places to stay, like panga style small boats and uncrowded diving.
This will be a June or July trip.

What island should we be looking at?
How is the diving different between the islands?
What can we expect to pay per person for boat diving?
For those who've dove Cozumel and Bonaire, how is the diving in Hawaii different?

We will likely be traveling with non divers on this trip, but I'd expect most places in Hawaii to have great beaches compared to Cozumel and Bonaire. Our non diver friends have access to timeshares with RCI so the resort would probably be one they are affiliated with.

All advice is appreciated.

Aloha and I hope you do choose to visit the Hawaiian islands!

The diversity throughout the Hawaiian islands is considerable to say the least and diving one island to the other can be quite different. Each island has her own highlights and even critters vary to an extent. One of many fantastic things is that you can find just about any type of diving that you want among the main islands. Rather than typing an overly extensive response - if you would like to send me an address I would be more than happy to send you some articles/info on diving throughout Hawaii.

I've been here almost 15 years now and am simply in love with diving throughout the islands. From the larger Hawaiian Monk Seals and Hawaiian Green Sea Turtles - to the smaller Leaf Scorpions, Nudibranchs and Frogfish (and everything in between) I feel that the critters here are fantastic. We have the highest endemic ratio of fish of anywhere in the world so you are sure to see new things.

I'll cut myself off before I get carried away - but I'd be happy to send you info on the different islands. While I work as a DM oon Kauai I do have friends throughout the islands diving professionally that I can put you in touch with as well.

Are you interest in wrecks? Lava tubes? Caves? Night Dives? Wall Dives? Poke around photo dives? Drifts? These questions will to some extent narrow down what islands may be best for you....

Look forward to hearing back from you. In the meantime you can google subjects like....

Big Island Manta Dive
Big Island Pelagic Magic

Lanai Cathedrals

Molokai Hammerheads

Oahu Wreck Diving

Molokini Crater

Maui St. Anthony / Cartheginian Wrecks
Maui Black Rock Dive
Maui Mala Wharf Dive

On Oahu - Kaiamana Divers
On Maui - Mike Severns Diving / Shaka Doug (shore)
On Kauai - Fathom Five Divers
(these are just a couple of the operations I've had great experience with)

Best of island wishes - hope to hear more from you soon

Hi, one thing I'd mention is that all the other sites you mentioned have warmer water than you'll fine in Hawaii. I love diving in Hawaii and was last there in June, 2012. Water temps off Lanai and Molokini averaged 75-78 degrees. Expect to wear a 3-5mm suit. In Hawaii, you'll find less corals, but I think there are more fish just swimming around in Hawaii than Coz (I've never been to Bonaire).

My advice would be after landing in Oahu is to head to one of the other islands as soon as possible. Been to Maui and BI several times, Kauai only once. Had best diving in Maui at the Lanai cathedrals, best reached from Lahaina and you don't want a panga here, can be a rough crossing, and Molokini back wall (drift dive). On BI Kona is the place to be, the manta night dive, and possible spinner dolphin encounters are spectacular. Most dive ops charge ~$100 per 2 tanks. Most offer discounts for multi-day diving.

Compared to Coz and Bonaire, sea life is different and much more colorful. Not as much coral because of the volcanic rock makeup. Want a nice beach? Go to Turks & Caicos. Best beach I've seen is Maui's Kaanapali beach. Otherwise bring water shoes for the rock. Finally, the main difference is the topside attractions. There's so much more to do in Hawaii, sunrise at Haleakala and road to Hana on Maui, Volcanoes Nat Park on the BI. Do allow time for sightseeing.

I just returned from diving in Maui for two weeks and we did stay at the Westin Resorts at Kaanapali beach and yes it is beautiful. You can do plenty of shore dive on Maui and right off Kaanapali beach is fine for turtles and an assortment of sea life. Couple of dives there and you have seen it all unless you really like looking at all the fine detail.
Black rock at the Sheraton is a nice dive just down the beach a thousand yards from the Westin. Dive it during the day then dive it at night. We didn't use a guide but it is not expensive to hire one. Drop off and pick up can be tricky but there are plenty of threads on this forum to read about that.
Mala warf is a great dive and lots of underwater structure as the pier collapsed years ago and easy to enter and exit.
Anyway we did about 20 shore dives and only paid $4/tank for air.
Everyone wants to go molokini to dive the wall and you should. Lots to do as mentioned when not diving and that was important to me as my wife and daughter don't dive and my son loves it. He got his rescue diver cert while we were there and if you are not AOW you might think about it while you are there.
Good luck
RT

It's kind of rough off Maui for panga style boats since they go across the channel to Molokini or Lanai for first dives. But all the operators leaving from the Kihei boat ramp (Molokini) have smaller boats since they pull them out at the ramp. Hawaiian Rafting Adventures near Lahaiana has a big Zodiac style boat. Extended Horizons boat is smaller, I think they limit it to 12. I'm fairly certain Mike Severns in Kihei does also. Maui dive prices tend to run around 2/$120. There's lots of shore diving also up and down the coast.

I think there's several RCI properties along Kaanapali Beach. I'd guess (but don't know) that there might be one near Kihei also. It's about a 45min drive between the two. I personally think Kapalua Bay Beach is the nicest one there - you can also dive it. Many beaches on Maui are also good shore dives. Scuba Shore Diving Site Listing for: Maui, Hawaiian Islands

There's some drift diving off Lanai that's comparable in speed to Cozumel. Primary difference is that the substrate off Maui (really all the islands) is volcanic so in some areas the reef looks darker. Other spots have white sand. There's not as much soft corals/fans either. But the trade-off is that some areas are collapsed lava tubes or domes - it's actually how the Cathedrals - the signature Lanai dive started. At First Cathedral you anchor near a rock outcropping with small openings in it - during the dive you realize it's the top of the cathedral. I swam up there but don't remember if I could remove my mask there or if that was a site we did off Kauai.

Compared to Bonaire you're going to see a lot of larger stuff off Maui. Sharks are almost a given, even Mantas occasionally. Of course they're usually seen at the Manta Night Dive off Kona on the big island also.

Alaska airlines has direct flights to all the islands so flying to Oahu for connections is no longer required.
I lived in Hawaii for five years and like the Big Island the best. Kona is a quaint little town with lots of good restaurants and diving. Not crowded. The Manta night dive is in Kona and it is great. My next choice for islands would be Kauia, Maui and then Oahu. The water is colder than Bonaire by probably 10 degrees. The topography is rocks and rocks and more rocks with hard corals. Lots of different types of critters seen only in Hawaii.

Great info so far for you - specifically one of your questions was....

vs Cozumel - smaller features, not as much drift, no sponges and mostly rock and hard corals. BIG TURTLES, endemic creatures and colder water.

vs Bonaire - more dramatic topography with lava tubes, walls, caverns and schooling pelagics. Fewer fish (I thought Bonaire was crazy fishy), no soft corals or sponges, colder water, IMHO more Aloha spirit.

It's american infused with Polynesia which is familiar, and your non diving buddies will most likely have more to do than either Coz or Bonaire.

Maui has the best blend of access to very good diving with lots of great beaches and things for non divers to do. Shore diving is good both north and south on the west side, and you can access other islands from Lahaina and Kihei.

Kona has the better overall diving plus mantas and dark water dive but the island is BIG and you'll drive a lot to get to the different shore diving options as well as volcanos or whatever else you do (watch your elevation after diving). Also, our non divers were bored as there aren't a lot of good beaches, and Kona town is very small and it takes a long time to get to other population centers (Hilo, Waikoloa, Place of Refuge) where on Maui you can be pretty much from one side of the island to the other in less than an hour (Hanna not withstanding).

Kauai is JURASSIC PARK! So very beautiful above the water! Good diving and beaches, but for me, it's a little slow there and I got some island fever after a week.

Have Fun!!

Maui and Kona are the best for diving, and even the biggest boats will be less crowded that most boiats in the palces you havfe been. There are a lot of good dive operators on both islands. Maui offers excellent shore diving as well as day boat excursions. Kona shore diving will present tougher entry/exit challenges than Maui, but the sites are good. Note that pricfes are similar for all concessionaires- $120 to 150 for a 2 tank dive, depending on destination. I certainly recommend Maui and Kona, in no particular order. Have a great time. If you go to Kona the manta ray night dive ( run by just about all dive operators) is a must do.
DivemasterDennis

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom