Old School Bungie Cave Adventurers for SMS 100?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Max Speed

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I always have a hard time pulling the SMS 100 bungie around the valve and clipping it off. I just spotted the "old school system" on Edd's website.

Not being old school myself...

Is the "loop" clipped off to the shoulder D ring in front and then one "side" of the loop pulled over the valve handle? (Seems easy.)

Or is the whole loop (two strands) pulled around the valve and then clipped off? (Doesn't seem to be an advantage over the OEM bungee.)

It is a piece of webbing that attaches to the SMS 100 with a sex bolt. The bungees attach to it. The bungees are just loops. They run from the webbing to a bolt snap attached to the chest D ring then run back to the webbing. When you attach the tanks just pull it over the valves. It is easier and most seem to prefer it. I didn't care it.

I happen to have one only dove twice if you're interested. I'll do $30 shipped in the US. I'll even include a SS Sex bolt.

I have the Edd 'mods' done to my SMS-100. Completely changes the way this rig reacts under water.....ALL POSITIVE. The biggest change you'll see is how much easier it is to trim out. But it's not just the old school bungee system that makes the modifications work well. Cave Adventurers also moves your dump valve and repositions it to your shoulder area. They will adjust the bladder so more inflation centers around your lower torso (this mod will remove about 10 pounds of lift capacity, but that still gives you around 40 pounds....more than enough). Your inflator hose will be moved to the bottom of the BC and rerouted across your chest for placement during diving. Smaller modifications are also made to tweak things out and it would be in your best interest to give CA a call for details.

Regarding your "loop" question: Just one side (one 'strand') of the bungee is pulled forward and wrapped around each tank valve. Make sure, though that you DO NOT use the bungee to hold the weight of the tank when exiting the water. Instead, buy (or make) a pair of tank lanyards (mine are made from nylon parachute cord). Use these---1 on each neck of the tank---to hold the weight when getting into/out of the water. Otherwise, you'll stretch the sh*t out of the bungee. Only loop the bungee around your tank valve when in the water.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
Regarding your "loop" question: Just one side (one 'strand') of the bungee is pulled forward and wrapped around each tank valve.

Hope this helps.

Perfect. Sounds like an easier system for me. Thank you. Previous poster likely has a sale!:wink:

I do use bolt snaps tied to the valves as well.

Sent from my GT-P3113 using Tapatalk 2

I also have an SMS 100 with Edd's mods and the bungees work great. They are easy to get on and off. I use butterfly clips and gold line for lanyards around my tank valves to connect to my D-rings. I would highly suggest using the butterfly clips. They are so much easier to clip and unclip than standard clips.

Edd's old school bungies working great for me. Much easier to pull over the valves. Will try butterfly clips...

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

I always have a hard time pulling the SMS 100 bungie around the valve and clipping it off.

Personally, I think this has much more to do with Hollis' appalling choice of bungee material, rather than the bungee design itself.

I get plenty of students turning up for training with Hollis rigs (SMS100 and SMS50). One of the first modifications we always do is swap out the bungees for something requiring less Herculean manipulation.

Personally, I think this has much more to do with Hollis' appalling choice of bungee material, rather than the bungee design itself.

I get plenty of students turning up for training with Hollis rigs (SMS100 and SMS50). One of the first modifications we always do is swap out the bungees for something requiring less Herculean manipulation.

Agreed. Corporate lawyers must have reviewed the safety factor.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

I actually have a variation on the Edd mods on my Dive Rite LT Tech rig. So much easier to use than the ring bungess that come with it.
Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

I actually have a variation on the Edd mods on my Dive Rite LT Tech rig. So much easier to use than the ring bungess that come with it.
Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

Hey Jim,

I just bought my girlfriend an LT because she was tired of the clutter on her sms. I've been trying to think of how to setup old school bungees on it for her. I'll PM you to see if you have any pictures.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom