Roatan vs. Kona

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

frontiernurse

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I know Roatan is totally different from Kona and they are both great and I've been to both of them before and this post is a desperate cry for help in deciding where to go in January. I already know where to stay and who to dive with. I just CAN'T decide between Kona and Roatan.

I'm gonna post this in both the Bay Islands and the Hawaii forums. Help me decide! Please!!! Tell me your stories, your preferences, your reasons for choosing one over the other... (I already love them both).

I appreciate your totally free and loose and un-fettered opinions!

xo

How's the weather in Kona in January? I don't know and that would be a key part of that equation.

January is not my most favotitest special month of the year for Bay Islands diving, I am jaded and tend to avoid the place November through January. It is likely the best of those three months, though.

Is there a reason you are choosing between those 2 places, other than being familiar with both?

Personally I'd pick neither, especially in January. Water in Kona would be cooler than I'd prefer.

Hmmmm. Excellent and thoughtful responses all. I don't have enough time for Fiji although that sounds dreamy. Yes, I'm familiar with both and have had great experiences both places. I'm not feeling particularly creative in finding a new spot that is as easy to get to as those. But open to suggestions. (I am being so lazy!) Thanks all!

I like Roatan in late January early February. The rainy season is usually over at this time. Not too many people, almost no bugs and you may get a little rain early in the morning, no squalls that would stop diving, and hey you're going to get wet anyway. We stay at CCV or Anthony's key. Always great with 4-8 divers on the boat instead of the 10-15 during the spring and summer months.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom