Cutting Tools

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

johnnyblackau

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
Hi

Moved from a more recreational style of diving with the jacket style bc (Oceanic HLC Probe) which i had the knife that mounted on to it. I've since purchased a Transpac XT and am moving more towards the tec side of things. I've read over and over that tec divers don't tend to carry knifes as such and lean more towards shears or line cutters. Just wanted other opinion as to what they prefer to use and why. I can appreciate and i tend to agree that having a pointed knife near a bc is not the wisest idea but would like to ask others diving tec their thoughts.

Cheers

Blackie

I use a small, but sharp, blunt tipped serrated knife on my harness. If I dived more wrecks I'd probably add shears to my pocket contents, but I wouldn't ditch a simple, no nonsense knife.

IMG_1958.jpg

I am a commercial diver not a tech diver but I never go in the water without a knife. Depending on what I am doing that dive will determine what type of knife I carry. If I need a large knife with a 7" blade I can use as a pry bar and a hammer on the other end I will wear that on my right thigh so the handle is positioned where my hand would come to rest on my leg. I also carry a folding lock blade that is clipped to my harness. These are small, cheap and can be closed before you get them anywhere near your BCD.

I have the easy cut attached to the wrist straps of my predator for fast deployment and shears in a pocket.

I have trilobite on my predator strap and one on my harness. I like the flex style sheath for the harness since it is a wrap around type and easily moved between harnesses. Which is good since I have five set ups that I may dive.
Two of my rigs have the broken steak knife in a sheath set up as well. Shears also on every dive. If I think I'll need something for prying I'll take a crowbar of the appropriate size and same goes with a hammer.

Trilobite and shears on my BC on every dive. They both tuck in to places that seem made for them, so I never take them off. And I usually forget I have them. I take a leg knife usually and use it most as its easy to deploy. Each to his own.

Another plug for the Trilobite. I recently picked one up after discovering how ineffectual my knife was the one time I actually needed it. Last week I was doing a night dive at my local where there is a lot of fishing line, discarded nets and rope, it's a dump, anyway I got caught up in some rope used the Tribolite and was out is a few seconds. Based on that one experience I'd highly recommend them. They sit nicer on my harness than a knife too. My only slight whinge is that mine has begun rusting rather quickly in fact after only a handful of dives, I soak and rinse my gear religiously after every dive and use silicone spray. I also carry EMT shears.

+1 on the trilobite and shears. I like the shears the best because you only need one hand to use.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom