San Miguel / Santa Rosa Islands, what to expect?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

fjpatrum

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Per my last thread, I'm looking to go to the Channel Islands National Park later this month to do some diving. I booked a one day excursion on 22nd September through Truth Aquatics (on the Vision) that goes to San Miguel and/or Santa Rosa.

Now I'm looking to get more info on what to expect. I assume kelp forests are a big draw but what are water temps and what other attractions should I look out for during my dives. Is there likely to be a decent current (they said the Captains usually select "sheltered" sites) or any other "concerns"?

I'm also diving steel 85s or 95s for the first time so suggestions on weighting difference wise from AL80s would certainly be helpful. I'm told the 95s an extra 6# more than the 85 but forgot to ask about the difference between that and the AL80s.

No buddies yet. If you're interested in joining, feel free to PM me.

Water should be in the mid to low 50Fs. Depending on the sites but there could be heavy surge. Viz tend to be low. Sweet sites tend to run 60-ft or deeper.

A lot of colors. That means the anemonies, algaes and sponges tend to be more prolific and have livelier colors due to more food source and colder temp.

More nudibranchs. More, thicker kelp forests.

As far as steel tanks go, ask for specific makes and models. Their buoyancy characteristics vary quite a bit between manufacturers and between model lines.

PS Bring something to keep you warm between dives. The regular divers out here use dive parkas (aka oversized swimming parkas), but I don't expect visitors to buy these coats just for a one-time use. So at least bring a big fluffy towel to dry off between dives and then throw on a wind breaker/sweater to keep warm.

Most steel tanks will run 1 or 2 lbs negative when empty, compared with the +4 for an Al80. So taking off five pounds is generally safe. However, there are some Faber tanks that are massively negative (like -7 when empty) so you do need to know the brand AND type you are using.

I love San Miguel -- it's my favorite of the Channel Islands. You are out in the Humboldt current, so it looks more like Monterey than the inshore islands do -- California hydrocoral and corynactis anemones, drenched with color. The water can also be colder -- we have seen temperatures in the mid 50's inland and mid 40's on San Miguel. We have also encountered more wind and rougher surface water out there, because it isn't sheltered from the weather, and surface currents can be strong. It's still worth it.

Keep in touch with Truth Aquatics to make sure they have enough divers to make the trip. The only time I tried to go out with them the trip was cancelled. Hopefully they already have enough. Does Truth supply weights? It is a nice big boat, have fun.

diverrex, I assume they do, but with steel tanks, especially if I go with the big 95, I'll only need maybe 6 or 8 pounds. I wear my plate plus 14 in 40s water at home. Subtract 6-10 (depending upon 85s or 95s) and add 4 for salt water... That should put me in the ballpark. If I have to grab some at the shop the night before, so be it.

I've been looking at youtube videos and seeing lots of sea lions. Oh to be so lucky! Some of the videos show some significant surge so I'll be looking out for that but I'm already getting excited.

Another new type of environment and new location is always a good thing, in my opinion. Not to mention I'd like to keep my ocean to quarry dive ratio on the high side.

Cold water and probably poor visibility (due to rich plankton blooms), but lots of great stuff to see (including blue and humpback whales on surface intervals). San Miguel is one of my favorite dive destinations in SoCal.

So my wife was looking at videos and incident reports on the channel islands and got a little nervous. I assured her there was nothing to worry about as I'm not planning on spearing anything. She got me thinking though, should I bring a bladed knife? I carry a trilobyte and sheers but have a spot on my thigh pocket to add a bladed knife, if the need arises. Should I go ahead and plan on bringing one? I know new/inexperienced kelp divers tend to get nervous but is it a good possibility of getting tangled in the actual kelp or lines that are caught in the kelp that would warrant more than what I already carry?

I would not be concerned about getting tangled in kelp. Kelp spreads out once it reached the surface, but below the water, it grows straight up. Very majestic. It is quite common to swim through a kelp field and never get tangled at all. It is very cool. It will move back and forth with the surge but should not be an issue.

Descend down the anchor line and make a note of the depth of the anchor to help you return to it.

I dove off the Vison last year and it is a great boat. We dove on Santa Rosa and Santa Cruz islands. The visibility was great with lots of life and color.

Have a great time!

Shears will be more than enough to take care of kelp. Lots of people don't worry about kelp, since you can snap it with your hands if you get entangled, but after reading about so many incidents of people dying in kelp I personally can't relax and enjoy it unless I have shears or a knife on me. In really thick, dense spots I like to hold my reg to my mouth, since I've had it ripped out by kelp before, and it's not an experience I want to repeat :p Before I put spring straps on my fins I even had kelp undo a fin's strap and take it right off my foot, was ridiculous.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom