One day to dive in Maui - Lanai or Molokai?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
I'm heading to Maui for my honeymoon in late September. My soon-to-be doesn't dive, so I'm limiting myself to one day of diving. I think that we'll go snorkeling and try to hit Mala Wharf that way, but for my dives, I can't decide between Lanai or Molokai to try to see hammerheads. I've been to Molokini and loved it - I tend to love sites with lots of fish more than those with interesting coral formations, although those can be equally impressive, and that's what's tempting me about Lanai. I'm an open water diver with about 30 dives, but I'm very comfortable in the water and have good air consumption (although maybe not so such with hammerheads!). I've done a couple of wall dives but nothing with a safety stop in blue water. So I'm very interested but nervous about diving with hammerheads, although I think that I'm up for the challenge. On the other hand, it sounds like summer is the best time to see hammerheads, and with only one day of diving, maybe Lanai would be a better choice to at least increase my likelihood of seeing cool stuff. Anyone have any thoughts or other factors I should consider? Thanks!

I think Lanai would be a better choice for you, Molokai is a advanced drift dive. I have done both and the time we did Molokai there was a ripping current and NO Hammerheads (still had a blast). Now if you only have one chance to dive and try something Waaaay Fun try these www.mauiscooterdivers.com Best bang for your buck and the owners are great people. I go every time over there and it's always my BEST dive.

Back
Top Bottom