Snorkeling in Dec in Key West/Dry Tortugas

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

uday029

New
Reaction score
We are planning to spend the new year weekend holidays in Key west and are planning to do some snorkeling in Key West and Dry Tortugas, but have begun to read some disappointing reviews of water and wind conditions there. Some of the private sail boat charters strongly recommended against snorkeling in December since they expect rough/cold waters. I have been reading mixed reviews about water conditions in December. I'm wondering if there is a stronger than normal current in December versus another time of the year. I was also wondering if snorkelling is better in Key Largo compared to Key West? We are planning to stay in Key Largo. We were planning to take a private sail boat charter for snoekeling to get away from the crowds.

I guess I am hoping for someone to say "snorkeling in West will be GREAT in December!" - but please be honest about any pros and cons you can think of.

Thanks in advance!

I live here. Folks don't come for the snorkling in December. They don't come to Key Largo for that either. Sounds like your vacation will be ruined if it doesn't go your way, so you might consider heading further south.

"Lesser Latitudes equal Better Attitudes". If you want amazing snorkeling in December in warm, calm, shallow bays, come to St.Vincent. Perfect here all-the-time. November- April is "prime time" here in the Grenadines and the exchange rate is fixed at almost 3-1. Find us on-line and ask how we can help you save even more.

I've been to Key West a couple times in early November - but not for the water. It definitely gets cool that time of year and unfavorable seas seem more common -had dives canceled due to rough seas on each trip. You can certainly still snorkel but you'll probably want to be in a wetsuit.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom