Drysuit and Wing inflator hose routing with doubles. . .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JohnN

ScubaBoard Sponsor
ScubaBoard Sponsor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Reading another post about a near accident where a doubles diver lost all her air, caused me to re-think my inflator hose routing for doubles. Right now I have both the wing and my drysuit inflator coming off my left post (just so we're clear, the 1st stage behind my left shoulder). I understand the most likely failure will be on the other post (where my primary is), but doesn't this represent a single point of failure?

If I were to lose the left 1st stage, I'd be stuck with no easy way to inflate either the wing or drysuit (I know I could manually inflate the wing). Does anyone run one inflator to each post?

Kinda kills redundancy if you dont have it configured that way doesn't it?

Equipment Configuration | Global Underwater Explorers

hoseconfig-all.jpg

First off, there should have been no reason for a doubles diver to lose all there air, Duh isolation valve. The only time I will run an inflation hose, 1 from each reg, will be dry suited. Ether one will keep me going until I can get out. The only problem is there is no way to manually inflate the suit. I think someone needs to design an oral inflator for a dry suit, then I can keep diving!

Split the hoses. BC on right post, DS on left.

Why? Lets run some scenarios:

Run away wing inflator. Crap, that's bad. You need to either detach the hose, or (if its frozen or stuck...butterfingers), you need to shut down the offending post. Since the hose is coming from the right, you can go head up to dump the wing with your left hand (dumping gas from your suit at the same time without you even thinking about it) and try to detach the hose OR reach back and shut down the post. In both cases, you're free to manipulate the hose and the valve while dumping everything at once.

Run away drysuit inflator. Crap, that's bad too! Same thing, either detach the hose or shut it down. Most exhaust valves are on the [-]right[/-] left arm. If the hose is stuck or frozen, you can reach back and close the [-]right[/-] left post (arm up, venting gas). Same as above, you can vent everything at once. Fwiw, a leaking DS valve will leak water if you detach the hose. That might be a real problem if you're in cold water or have a long time to go till you can surface.

Reverse the hoses, and things get a bit more complicated.

Ok, more scenarios. We know the left post rolls off with contact with an overhead (I've done it). If you're coming out of a restrictive area to a non restrictive area, and you find you can't inflate your wing, you're gunna have a bad time if the bottom is far from you. May or may not be applicable to your diving, but with the hoses set up as above, you don't need to worry about it. There's also the option to breath directly from the inflator in the exceedingly rare situation of having a closed left post and needing to donate gas. Ridiculously rare, but the option exists. Something to think about if you're diving in restrictive areas.

Having the DS hose on the right also lessens the chance of the hose becoming tangled and interfering with a long hose or octo. Trapping your buddy's gas source would be bad.

So split them hoses, put your BC on the right and your suit on the left!

Last edited:
I've never heard of both being run off the same post, and can't really think of any reason to do so. I suppose one could argue that the reg that sees the most work is the right post and keeping the wing LPI off it lowers odds of freezing the first stage in really cold water. But there are so many other negatives to having the wing and the DS both on the left post, and better ways to handle cold water, that it doesn't even seem debatable. Where'd you get the idea to put it there?

In the DS examples, I think PfcAJ pulled a Private Pyle re: right and left.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom