filming remote wreck 15 miles west of Key West

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Md Spear

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
This is my best fiming work yet on the remote wreck that my Key west buds Brad and Johnny found while glancing at the sonar trolling west of Key West.
Shot with a sony nex5n in a nauticam housing with a 15mm Nikor underwater wide angle lens and twin solas 4000 lumens video lites. 3200 iso, manual white balance "shoot ur foot" card. Great definition at about 5 atm depth.
The Wreck is sort of hard to anchor on as the bottom is hard coral with a few inches of sand on it , so the anchor walks a lot. Its easiest to throw a grappeling hook and and marker ball out , get dropped by the boat at the ball and follow the line down. Downside to this is someone has to stay and drive the boat. We stuck my friend Bob with piloting my 30CC scarab. [his boat is a 32 scarab so he was perfect candidate for the captains job ]
Me and UnderwaterHuntress hit the wreck looking to spear dinner , but no big boys home this day. Its always a cool dive and one of the goals of the trip was to get some clear footage of the wreck. Time goes quick deep and all too soon we have to leave the wreck. As we're boarding the Scarab we notice ....AH CRAP !!!! missing a lite bar. One of the Light and Motion Solas 4000 video light is missing!!! Talk about being bummed out after having a great dive.....loosing a $1500.00 video lite at sea....
We motored back to where we thought we were extracted judging by the lobster pot balls and pushed MOB on the garmin. Good news was we had great film footage.
The next day water was flat calm , used that window of opportunity to go back offshore and hunt for the lost solas 4000. Returned to the MOB spot we thought was close to the area and threw a hook and marker ball on it. I dove in with my Dacor Sprint battery powered wheel chair and commenced to do figure 8s around the grappling hook searching ....searching..NOTHING..Man , I was really low now...totally bummed out. The Delima ...waste a day of vacation hunting lost gear or put my tail between my legs and move on. So did a 1 hr surface interval on the Scarab and then kitted up again , this time tossing the hook and marker ball over at the wreck itself. Now this day the current deep is different 180 degrees from the day before. Going down I see grappling hook is 30 feet behind the wreck with the line trailing astern. The day we lost the lite, the hook was out in the sand at 10 o'clock from the bow rail with the current pushing out to the front of the wreck. So I scooter out into the upper left quadrant from the bow and as I leave sight of the wreck I look down and start mentally trail marking via odd sponges and rocks. Well , now the pressure is on ...how far do I search?? Then out of the blue...there it is. Laying on the bottom , were it drifted to when dropped. Talk about a great feeling. What an emotional rollercoaster ride . I'm really pumped now and after a few offgassing stops I break the surface , waving the lost light above my head. Only a half day spent to recover $1500.00 dive toy.
Mentally exhausted but feeling good we motored to our next dive spot on the Bar.
Sometimes when tested we are at our best.
Film is on vimeo in 720 at 30fps although it was shot at 1080p and 60 fps. U/wH is still working on some post production stuff like this.

Link to my video of Brads wreck on vimeo shot aug 2 2013 . Near the end of the clip, at the swimplatform ladder of the wreck , u can even clearly see the fishing mono Brad's Wreck on Vimeo Great resolution with this lens.

Attachments

• img019.jpg
    img019.jpg
    29.4 KB · Views: 97
  • img020.jpg
    img020.jpg
    36.1 KB · Views: 116
Last edited:
Good on you for being persistant. I learned to tether everything that cost anything when it comes to video/photography equipment. Walmart sells fishing leaders that work great for stuff like that.

btw video did not play on vimeo

Brad's Wreck on Vimeo Randy.....thanks for the heads up on the link .. this new link works...
u are right about the tether. this one ultralite arm and sola 4000 are on a quick release thumb screw and i had removed the lite to get the rig inside the wrecks forward hatch to film that angle. fubar' ed it good when i failed to re tighten set screw.

Back
Top Bottom