Need a new dive computer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jandee

Contributor
Reaction score
Waterford,Wi, about 25 miles from the Milwaukee Ha
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Dove last Saturday and my computer has still not turned off. I have a Sunto Viper and last dive was 56 hours ago. I did a 110 foot dive for 32 minutes. I plan to remove battery and see if it will turn off but........ Once I have a problem with my life support I don't consider it to be dependable. Besides my computer is older, has about 800 dives on it, and my husband has already had 2 new computers since I bought mine. I'm looking for a easy to read computer with big numbers, doesn't need to be air integrated, doesn't need to hook up to my PC. I dive a lot, mostly Nitrox, , and it is not unusual to get 25 dives in a week when on vacation. I don't want it to be overly limiting on O2 saturation. The hubs had a Sherwood Wisdom that locked him out when the O2 saturation reached 80%. That isn't acceptable when doing repetitive diving on Nitrox. I always stay within NDL. Any recommendations?

More computer than necessary for just EAN NDL dives, but a Shearwater Petrel won't lock you out for any reason, O2 included. Shearwater has great support. I think it's easy to read, but YMMV.

We need to know wrist vs. console preference.

Is an 'easy' interface a big draw? Cobalts & Petrels are said to have good interfaces; I vouch for the former & haven't used the latter.

Do you log dives? If so, a computer that can download to a PC is really handy, especially if it's AI and logs start & end tank pressures, though you indicated neither was needed.

The Atomic Cobalt is sweet if you like an easy interface, battery charging without removal or replacement, and a big on-board log capacity. But it's pricy and a console.

Isn't the LiquiVision Lynx, an AI wrist unit, supposed to have an 'easy' interface? Using taps, I think.

What kind of price range are you open to?

Richard.

I log all my dives on my iPad on the Dive Log App and don't need a computer interface. I want a wrist computer.

---------- Post added September 9th, 2013 at 08:46 PM ----------

$300 to $1000, what ever suits my needs. I'd sooner by a computer then shoes.

Easy to read is kind of subjective but an Aladdin 2G works for me. Running up to ox tox limits is not something I would do, and clearly I am not the most risk adverse person on the board. Personally I think playing with oxtox limit is dangerous but NDL is something you can fix at the end of the dive with some planning for available gas. I really don't like Suunto's since they tend to go silly conservative especially for repetitive dives.

Easy to read with big numbers and a wrist unit. Okay, maybe rule out 'watch style' computers like the Oceanic Geo 2.0?

Puck style would be easier, but even there a Shearwater Petrel is larger than an Oceanic VT4, from what I understand. The Petrel's said to have a good interface (I haven't used one), doesn't have an AI option, uses AA batteries, is tech. ready of course, and owners seem to love them and the company behind them. If you don't need AI, at least check them out!

I'd compare to an Oceanic VT4 and a LiquiVision Lynx (you don't have to buy the transmitter if you don't want AI).

The OLED on the Lynx ought to be very readable. From what I was told, the Petrel's LCD screen is also very viewable.

Suunto Zoop is also a good deal, and is probably the cheapest Nitrox computer in my neck of the woods

Scubapro aladin 2G is affordable and has nitrox, freshwater, altitude and multigas features.. and it can be used either wrist or console mounted

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom