How to begin?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BellDive

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hey all! It's been over a year since i posted in here - and over a year since i faced my water-fear and got my 1* which i didn't get a chance to really use since i got my certificate.

So a bit of a mess. I'm in Tel Aviv now and i want to take up a few things again but wondering how to go about it all.
I used to swim every other day but fell ill and therefore i stopped and basically have been out of the pool/water for a year :(

I recently came across someone that apparently does a lot of spear-fishing (snorkel) and something about it captured me.

Any tips on how to go about starting snorkling/free diving as i am not really ready yet to start scuba-diving as it requires a bit more effort in regards to gear 'n refresher course etc.

The goal would be to try to spear fish once i'm ready for that, but if anyone has ideas how it's best to begin snorkling properly and practice free-diving or train for it, i'd be happy to hear views on it!

Best!
BellDive :)

new to spearfishing, nice. The most useful tip anybody can give you is never ever ever hyperventilate. Before diving do a breathing exercise that consists of you breathing 3 seconds in, 6 seconds out multiple times just before that last breathe.

Tip number two would be brace for the recoil when you fire the speargun. Not only can the gun recoil injure you but if you don't brace properly the spear shaft looses power and you will have a lesser percent chance of getting the kill.

Equipment would be mask, snorkel, fins (fins without the vent in the middle are preferable) and a weight belt (optional).

For a gun i am going to have to recommend any Euro style 90cm gun. I do not know what type of fishing you will be doing but a 90cm gun is the "all-around" gun of choice. some will say 75cm because you are starting but believe me the 75cm will leave you wishing for more power. As for the spear tip i always like the hawaiian single floppers. try to get a gun that has a shaft with shark fins. That way you can use slings with the spectra wishbones.

So you get an idea of what i am talking about look a the Hammerhead evolution II 90cm gun

practice the breathing exercise above water and hold your breathe. if you can't hold your breathe it will be harder to get the fish. Remember to choose your shots. Spearfishermen always eat what they catch because we are much more selective with our prey.

Be safe and come back with pictures of the kills!

Begin at the beginning. That to me means a snorkeling class, which PADI centers offer, not for certification, but for orientation to equipment, safety issues, movement in the water, entries and exits, as well as surface diving safely and efficiently. Its very basic, but it is a good starting place. Then hook up with experienced hunters who can mentor you.
DivemasterDennis

Begin at the beginning. That to me means a snorkeling class, which PADI centers offer, not for certification, but for orientation to equipment, safety issues, movement in the water, entries and exits, as well as surface diving safely and efficiently. Its very basic, but it is a good starting place. Then hook up with experienced hunters who can mentor you.
DivemasterDennis
the only problem with PADI classes is that the last I heard, PADI is still teaching hyperventilation. Has this changed? I haven't actually checked the instructors manual for this class as I have doubts I'll ever teach it so forgive me if my information is terribly out of date.

Agree with DMDennis; get your apnea, surface and diving skills together, and become totally comfy with that part before getting into spearfishing.
Writing this, based on my BG in UW photography(involves a number of similarities to Spearfishing, IMO); in order to be able to really focus on the object and task at hand, your dive should be 'second nature', so to speak.

First, find a good buddy to go with. Don't try to extend your breath hold diving times alone, even in a shallow pool. A few skilled free divers have died in 4 foot deep pools training alone.
If you're really serious about learning, take a free dive course. Freedive Instructors International, and Performance Freediving International offer beginner and intermediate courses that teach the physics and physiology of free diving, gear selection, technique for streamlining and O2 use efficiency. It will fast track you in the right direction before you start to develop a lot of bad habits.
Performance Freediving International
FII - Freediving Instructors International - Freediving Training - Freediving Courses - Waterman Survival

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom