Dive Operator for Advanced Divers in Maui

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi,
I am planning to be in Maui between September 30 and October 4 for a 5 days, and planning to have dives for 2 days. This is my first time in Maui and advised to dive in Lanai, Molokini and Turtle Reef. As I have been never dived in Maui before, I would like to explore best diving sites there but do not want experience only Hammerhead or drift sites, etc. before as advanced dives. I will stay in Kaanap'ali and prefer to nearest dive shops.

When I have investigated dive shops near; there are Lahaina Divers and Extended Horizons and also on Khiei Mike Severns.

I am Rescue Diver and have about 100 dives, so my buoyancy and air consumption is very well. I am planning to take reg, mask, light and computer of my equipment only. I am searching for dive operators for advanced divers. I dive almost around 100-120 feet with a 50 minutes.

I have read a lot from forums and web, as Extended Horizons boat is small and not comfy for Lanai. Lahaina Divers says they have maximum depth 65 feet and 35 minutes, whether you have air left in tank or not. As an advanced diver I don't want to dive with beginners as their air consumption is almost not well.

A little bit confused in that situation. Depth is not problem but if I end dive with a half tank I feel like I will be not happy as I will pay for a half dive about $60 which is too expensive against Europe or south east like Indonesia.

Do you have any experience with these operators?
Do they group experienced divers and other divers into same or not?
What is your operator suggestion for experienced divers?

If it is really a nice operator there in Khiei I can also drive mornings to Khiei boat ramp to enjoy good dives.

Thanks.

I also have my recue cert and am doing my dive master cert now. I have dove with Lahaina divers several times and they never ended my dive at 35 min or restricted me to 60 ft. Try doing the back wall of Molokini and reefs end with them, I have done it 3 times and its a great dive. Now if you want to try something that is waaaay fun get ahold of www.mauiscooterdivers.com and go on a dive with them. GREAT fun and GREAT people. I go with them every time on Maui and it's always my best dives.

And I've gone out to Lanai numerous times with Extended Horizons and was always quite comfortable on their boat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

i use mike severn's when on maui.....great outfit and no problems.

In the last two years I have dove with,
Lahaina Divers, night dive, set 1000 # time up limit on Carth, and the night dive was return at 700 # no babysitting,
Extended Horizons, Lanai, When one person was low air DM took them up solo,
Maui Diving, beach dives lowest on air, when you only go to 45' 60 min is easy,
Shaka Doug, 2 hours to get in the water, beach dive 45' and 60 min again
B&B last Monday, Molikini, dove 32.5 nitrox gave me a 100' limit DM and three divers, 102' think 53 min, but when I take my camera I use more are. B&B was pretty relaxed.
Diving with Ed Robinson on Friday, and Scuba Hawk Sat, Maui Diving (not Maui Dive shop) this morning.
I will book next weeks dives based on this weeks experience.

I have a condo in Kahana (just north of Kaanipali) and to me it is worth the drive to Kehei to dive with Ed Robinson for the 3 tank adventure dive, or Maui Scooter Divers. I also have done Lanai (do the Cathedrals dive- well worth it) and other spots with Lahaina Divers several times. I always had good dives, could usually be first in and last out, and was able to finish the dives without much supervision. There is an advantage to following a DM, even loosely- they know where all the cool stuff is!

As with most dive ops, spend some time talking with them, let them know what you want to do and expect. They will usually work with you. But also be aware, they hear "Oh, I'm an experienced diver with xxx dives and perfect buoyancy" a lot. Then the diver proceeds to drill the bottom like a lawn dart, hangs on to the corals, and runs out of air at 20 minutes or goes into deco. At the end of the day they are responsible for you and get a lot of vacation divers- so plan the dives accordingly. Again, spend some time talking with them and I'm sure whoever you pick can give you a great experience.

Also some people are disappointed in Hawaii diving since it isn't like the south pacific- it does have a number of neat fish, but the bottom is gray (volcanic rubble) and there are no soft corals or other highly colorful plants and animals in great numbers. If you are used to the Red Sea, it may not be spectacular.

To the best of my knowledge, Ed Robinsons is the only operator that dedicates specific days to advanced charters, which is why we've been diving with them since 2005. They have 2-tank advanced charters on Sundays and Fridays, a 3-tank advanced charter on Tuesdays, and a dive with Ed day on Wednesdays geared toward photographers and independent divers. Personally, if you only have 2 dive days and if one of them is a Tuesday, I'd strongly recommend you book the 3-tank charter. It's worth the early morning 45 minute drive from west Maui to Kihei.

although we always dive with Lahaina Divers to Lanai because of their big, comfortable boats, and we've never had our dives limited, they don't do what I call advanced dives.

I would echo what merxlin said. I visit S. Maui often and have dove with Ed Robinson's crew for many years. I think you also need to keep in mind that no matter what "trip" you sign up for or who you choose to go with, there is a certain amount of getting to know you and your diving ability that needs to happen between you and the divemaster/guide(s). Ed groups divers based on experience and ability and will give you leeway as is practical and based on how comfortable they are with you. As a photographer they have been extremely helpful to me both in locating subjects and also letting me "do my thing" when I want to. Sometimes when I am left to do my thing, I miss out because their guides are THAT good at locating subjects and ensure that ALL levels of divers are afforded a great experience.

It's been my experience that the Mike Severns boat tends to attract a more experienced group.

However, since you haven't been to Maui before, I wouldn't worry so much about trying to find "advanced" diving. Some of the best diving I've done there has been relatively shallow. For example, my hands-down favorite site on Maui is the Mala Pier, where the max depth is about 25 feet. The amount of life at that site is astonishing, and much of what you see there you won't have seen at non-Hawaiian dive sites.

Back
Top Bottom