So much for traveling light...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

James R

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
My D7000 housing left and soon (I hope) to be sold RX100 housing on the right. First trip with the D7000 as a dive camera is to Lembeh, so I'll bring my 105 AF-S micro and see how it goes.

Me & Mini-Me - Nauticam housings by JamesR_307, on Flickr

When are you going to be in Lembeh, James? I'm leaving Sunday night for a week at KBR, followed by a week in Raja Ampat.

My carry-on ... which will consist almost entirely of photo equipment ... may be problematic. I'll have two Canon T2i bodies, five lenses, three ports, a S&S RDX550 housing, two YS-110a strobes, a focus light, and the tray and strobe arms ... as well as my laptop computer.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Not for a few months unfortunately....the waiting is horrible! We booked the trip over a year ago now. We are staying at Kasawari resort for 10 days then 5 days in Bali. My carry on will be similar to yours!

Be sure to get your rig balanced with proper buoyancy floats before your trip. You can get a pretty nasty case of tennis elbow holding onto a big rig like that if it's not properly balanced.

Definitely agree. I should be good to go. I have 8 stix floats on the arms and I have the ring float for the macro port (87 for my 105 AF-S micro). If not, I'll get some of the new carbon float arms Nauticam makes :D

I'm gonna take it out to our local quarry this weekend and try to find some of the little fresh-water jellies.

I bought the backscatter AirLock and updated my USAA VPP for the camera too, double peace of mind :wink:

Hi,

If you really want to travel heavy, try carting a Nikon d300 + lenses + Subal Housing and gear + a Nikon SB-104 + a S&S slave strobe. The long-extinct 104 is probably the most powerful uw strobe ever made, but it was also the bulkiest/heaviest. But, man, can it light up the reef!

I have reached my dotage and slimmed down my camera gear. So, I am now down to my Nikon + 60mm Micro + 105mm + associated Subal gear + one S&S Strobe.

My next incarnation will have to be even lighter and less bulky!

joewr

I think I have that covered....it's not like just the housing pictured above is worth much without the rest of the stuff, right? :wink:

When are you going to be in Lembeh, James? I'm leaving Sunday night for a week at KBR, followed by a week in Raja Ampat.

My carry-on ... which will consist almost entirely of photo equipment ... may be problematic. I'll have two Canon T2i bodies, five lenses, three ports, a S&S RDX550 housing, two YS-110a strobes, a focus light, and the tray and strobe arms ... as well as my laptop computer.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

How do you get all that in one bag that is legal for the cabin?

I often travel with a similar amount of gear as carry-on. What I do is hand carry my housing with camera, lens and port on it separate from my carry-on camera backpack, which contains everything else. Airlines often allow a personal item in addition to your carry-on, which can be a camera, computer, or something else. I put a neck strap around my housing handles and carry it as my personal item. I've never had an issue with doing that with any airline that I have been on.

We have a ThinkTank Airport International 2.0 and a MountainSmith Borealis AT backpack. I carry the backpack and the short blonde one rolls the ThinkTank and carries her (huge) purse.

I think I will start checking the strobes & focus light. I usually put arms & clamps in a checked bag, so if that bag is lost it's not like I could use the strobes anyway, and at that point a focus light wouldn't be much use either.

Also, using the 8 stix floats and my stix ring float, my rig is just barely negative with the 105VR lens/port, focus light (photo 800) and two z-240 strobes.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom