Lobstering Recommendations Needed

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Knuckles

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Looking for a chartered scuba trip for lobster in south Florida or the Keys in November or December. Going with my old man so we probably won't even bring a gun and shallower water is preferred. I've never dove down there so I have zero experience to guide me on such a trip. Will it be too cold? 3 or 5mm wetsuit? Is limiting out likely that time of year in that area or are the lobster few & far between? Basically trying to switch up the panhandle & rig diving for father-son lobster time during Thanksgiving or Christmas break. Any recommendations on charter companies, time of year, weather, lodging, etc. would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

South Florida to the Keys covers a lot of territory. Do you have an area of preference, what do you consider shallow and are you looking for a boat going out exclusively for lobstering or just a boat that is hunter friendly?

At that time of year I would be in a 5 mil but I am cold natured. And I would make sure to have some kind of wind breaker or boat coat/parker in case the weather topside is chilly.

South Florida to the Keys covers a lot of territory.
I'm not picky. Just want to catch a lot of lobster.
what do you consider shallow
50 feet or less. I do mostly rig diving at home and would love a trip where I can hang out on the bottom for a while instead of bouncing. Shallower the better.
are you looking for a boat going out exclusively for lobstering or just a boat that is hunter friendly
Either is fine. Would love a guide who is all about spearing & lobstering but am not picky.
At that time of year I would be in a 5 mil but I am cold natured. And I would make sure to have some kind of wind breaker or boat coat/parker in case the weather topside is chilly.
Will do. Thanks.

For those depths you are probably talking about somewhere in the Keys. I have dove the Keys but not enough to give any useful advice. You might try posting your question in the Florida forum.

Give Aka dive charters a call the are in taveriner just a few mins south of key largo they are a 6 pack boat but everyday we went it was just me and my wife except for one day another couple joined us so it was like having a private charter the whole week we went spear fishing and lobstering with them and had a blast

Most of the boats out of Miami will do trips to two shallow reefs for lobstering. Look at grove scuba's miami trip list. It doesn't really make sense to head all the way down to the keys when you can only haul in half the limit there.

Knuckles: I don't have a lot of experience diving in the Keys, but make sure that lobstering is mentioned EARLY in the conversation. A good buddy is a HUGE spearo and has had no luck and found high resistance at many dive ops. Mention that your main intention is hunting them yummy critters, and they'll confirm or deny that they can/will take you to hunting-friendly locations.

Dave: You mean "IslamOrada".....right? You're 0/3 on spelling :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom