Moron dm at anilao

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

So what's the problem? He flipped over a piece of trash to see what what's under it?

... But he didn't put it back it in the right place. He dropped it onto a new area where we could assume he didn't check to see if that area was clear of fish life. Just because you can't immediately see any fish life doesn't mean there isn't anything hiding in the sand.

Also there was the big plume of sand that was sent up when he dropped the object back down again. When this sand settles onto coral it doesn't allow it to breathe and then this stops the sun from reaching the coral and if a large enough amount of sand does this the coral could die.

In that video there wasn't a huge amount of sand but if everyone does that we're going to run out of dive sites pretty quickly.

If anyone is in doubt don't touch ANYTHING.

Didn't watch the video, but can say that the DMs I had at Club Ocellaris were exceptional. However there was a DM from another resort that brought his divers over while I was filming a Rhinopias, crowded me out and then proceeded to move the Rhinopias away from its sheltered site out into the open on the sand in shallower water. Grrr.

However there was a DM from another resort that brought his divers over while I was filming a Rhinopias, crowded me out and then proceeded to move the Rhinopias away from its sheltered site out into the open on the sand in shallower water. Grrr.

I dont like being crowded while I'm diving....I could have accidentally kicked his mask off as I was swimming away...:)

... But he didn't put it back it in the right place. He dropped it onto a new area where we could assume he didn't check to see if that area was clear of fish life. Just because you can't immediately see any fish life doesn't mean there isn't anything hiding in the sand.

Also there was the big plume of sand that was sent up when he dropped the object back down again. When this sand settles onto coral it doesn't allow it to breathe and then this stops the sun from reaching the coral and if a large enough amount of sand does this the coral could die.

In that video there wasn't a huge amount of sand but if everyone does that we're going to run out of dive sites pretty quickly.

If anyone is in doubt don't touch ANYTHING.
Okay but is it muck, sand or coral? It appears to be muck. I don't see any coral. I understand not dropping it on any fish life, although most little things are usually able to crawl and creep out from under stuff but I don't get the idea that he killed coral. Because its not a coral reef?
Maybe you can explain what exactly the bottom composition here is and it would make more sense.
If I pick up a board or lawn chair in the local lake and drop it again, am I killing the local algae? Or, the local exotic zebra mussels?
I guess I'd be a lot more excited if he were standing on the bottom of a coral reef, harassing an octopus.

Lots of night creatures live in the sand (or muck). One of my favorite dives is a night dive in shallow sand bottom in Bonaire. The seemingly dead sand bottom I saw during the day is teaming with life at night.

I was amazed one dive to be able to witness a king helmet emerge from its hidding place below the sand.
box crabs are also another favourite along with banded tube dwelling anemone and every ones favourite, the sand dollar.

So please don't dis the lowly barren sandscape. There is likely lots of life hidden below.

Not dissing it at all. I'm just wondering if that damage could actually be done by lifting a board or whatever up and laying it back down in a different part of the muck.
I actually love diving muck and sand bottoms as well, especially at night. I just don't like to see a DM who probably works for a lot less than minimum wage, being called a moron on a public forum. Especially when what he did doesnt seem to be that big of a deal.
Really, there's a lot worse that DMs and instructors do in other parts of the world. What this Dzm did, it really doesn't seem like much in the overall scheme of things.

Back
Top Bottom