A non-diving question for technical divers:

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Karen18

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
When you're talking to friends/family/acquaintances who are not divers themselves, do you go into detail about the type of diving you do? Specifically about the dangers involved with technical diving (caves, deep diving, mixed gases, etc.)?

This subject came up recently with a (cave diver) friend, and I realized that I only really talk about diving to technical divers who know and understand the dangers that can be involved. I've never tried to explain what's involved with cave diving or deep wreck diving to somebody; I'll just mention casually that I like to scuba dive and then let the subject die.

? Just wondering.

No. There's simply no point. Most people rabidly fear anything they don't understand. I hear enough dumb questions and opinions from uninformed people who know I'm a pilot, no need to add another level of it.

No, I only talk about the good stuff to non-divers. No sense in frightening potential divers away from the sport. Let an instructor scare'em.

I agree that when you're talking to friends: Only the good stuff.

However, when you're talking to your immediate family you do need to make sure they understand what you are doing and what the risks are. They also need to understand that those you're diving with really aren't there/can't really help you if you get into trouble.

You have to prepare your loved ones for the worst - doesn't translate into scaring them to death -and encourage your friends to join us.

I'm not sure if explaining the risks to your immediate family does anybody any good. I don't think you can prepare them for the worst, so maybe ignorance is bliss? (NOTE: I'm single and without kids so I probably have a different perspective on it.)

No. There's simply no point. Most people rabidly fear anything they don't understand. I hear enough dumb questions and opinions from uninformed people who know I'm a pilot, no need to add another level of it.
Ditto......Talking to 'blank stares' ;O !!!!!

I don't think it takes much explaining for anyone to realize that people that go underwater and depend on machines to keep them alive in an alien environment risk death doing it. Keep your affairs in order and enjoy life!

I'm usually busy trying to convince non-divers that what I'm doing ISN'T all that dangerous . . . which I don't believe it is, if done with a properly respectful attitude.

I was recently invited to do a presentation on cave diving to the local Rotary Club. I focused my presentation on why someone would want to do it, but I prefaced it with an answer to the danger question, telling how proper training and equipment make the activity safe when it would be very dangerous to others. I had to do that. My wife was in the audience.

When not doing a presentation to the rotary club, if someone learns that I dive, I respond to questions. If they initiate a line of inquiry, I respond to it. My answers focus on the wonders I see when I do those dives. If they get into the danger aspect, I respond with the importance of training and equipment. I don't go into the issue of danger unless that topic is brought up by them. It rarely is.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom