Faber or worthington

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Does anyone know if there are any differences in the Faber lp 85 and the Wort:(hington lp 85 for sidemount

faber white coats the inside of the tank for rust prevention, i dont know if worthington does that. i think that faber under the faber name is the only one. Some one will have to chime in to confirm or deny that.

Worthington's are usually preferred for their buoyancy characteristics as the Fabers get butt light as you breathe them down but they do cost a bit more.

I just went through the hassle of buying tanks, and deciding on Faber vs Worthington and LP85 vs HP100. I ended up with Worthington HP100's. After a dive in the Fabers, I was sold on the Worthingtons. The Fabers were just too tail-light. I ended up goint with the HP100's because I can consistently get full fills, despite the *slightly* less gas I can get in cave country. In SM, the Worthingtons just trim SO much better for me.

Math:
Tank________ Pressure ______Air Volume
LP85 _________2640_________ 85ft3
HP100 ________3000 _________87ft3
HP100 ________3442 _________100ft3
LP85 _________3600 _________116ft3
HP100 ________3600 _________105ft3

Worthington offers a lifetime warranty against exterior rust. Faber does not. Fabers are painted, Worthington is Zinc hot dip galvanized. Also, the Faber is only 7.01 inches in diameter. Most tanks (and therefore tank holders on boats) are designed for 7.25. It might not be enough difference to be a problem. The Faber is also 2.3lbs positive when empty, making it almost as buoyant as an al80. So, you'll be carrying two or three more pounds of lead with the Faber.

If you care about this sort of thing, Faber is made in Italy, and Worthington in the USA.

Here's my chart.

tanks.jpg

Last edited:
Those diving SM rigs like the razor prefer Fabers (85s typically) since in the water they behavior more like AL80s - getting light in the tails. Those in diverite, hollis type rigs prefer worthingtons since the butts don't float up.

Whatever floats your boat.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom