DIY Reg reconfiguration

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

johnnyblackau

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
Quick question that's been bugging me... i bought a set of Dive Rite XT sidemount regs... and because at the time of purchase i had my twin set the LDS (Awesome service) reconfigured my hoses to suit the twinset... and i noticed that they used christo lube (might be incorrect spelling) on the threads as they reconfigured it all... my question is because i have my cylinders O2 cleaned, now if i want to reconfigure it back to the original sidemount setup do i need that lube again or would it be suffice to say it's not needed everytime? i know that it has to be the o2 compatible lube and not some hydrocarbon based product, but is it required each and everytime?

Thanks in advance

Short answer- No.

In fact, lube was not really needed in the first place. Static O-rings like those that sit between your hoses and the first stage do not benefit at all from lubrication. Dynamic O-rings (like on the hose swivel where it connects to the second stage) can benefit from a tiny amount of lube, however it is by no means an absolute necessity. As for the threads, they don't need to be lubed either. Unless they get ridiculously over-torqued or left at the bottom of the ocean for a few years, seizing will not be an issue.

What jwelburn said
As long as your regs aren't exposed to O2%'s greater than 40% you don't need to O2 clean your regs or keep them O2 clean.

If your regs are subjected to greater O2%'s then I'm not sure what the procedure is for that. Someone else should chime in.

Back
Top Bottom