Recommended Dive Operators in Waikoloa / Kohala Coast on Hawaii Big Island?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scg

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Aloha! I'll be in Waikoloa in about 10 days and would like recommendations on dive operators and boats in the Waikoloa area. I was in Kona last year and loved the night Manta dives and am hoping they have similar dives in Waikoloa. If not, then I'll make the drive to Kona and would appreciate advise on how long a drive it is so I don't miss the boat! Google maps says ~40 minutes so probably won't want to do the drive too many days. I'll have 3-4 days of diving while there. All advise on the Kohala coast area appreciated!

There is an actual Kohala Divers in Kawaihae. I dove with them a few years ago [first 'real dives' after OW checkout in fact]. Scuba Diving in Hawaii with Kohala Divers

They were a fun friendly crew...good shop and parking right by the boat jetty. It's a bit of a jaunt up from Kona but worth the trip IMO. I'll be on the east side of the Big Island in February, and I plan to do at least one day of diving with them, just for old times sake... I don't know about manta dives away from Kona. It seems to me that you need a fairly large number of people and lights in the water, and once you get away from Kona, things thin out a bit. That's good tho'...I hate diving with crowds from other boats in the water [Cozumel....ugh] and the Kohala diving seemed more like an adventure, and less like Disneyland underwater. This is not to disparage the Manta dive, however...it's a great experience.

When we went we used Scuba Diving Hawaii | Manta Ray Night Dives | Scuba Diving Packages | Big Island Scuba Diving | Kona Honu Divers

They were not brag about-great but were OK.

Why did we use them? THEY WERE THE ONLY SHOP ON THE ISLAND THAT RETURNED MY E-MAILS.

Three divers for five days diving - two morning dives and night dives every day - we spent well over a $1,000 and these were the only guys that would even respond to an e-mail - WTF!!!!

I used Kona Diving Company and was very pleased with their service. They're boat is a 15 minute drive from Waikoloa. I'll dive with them again when we return to the island.

Steve

There is an actual Kohala Divers in Kawaihae. I dove with them a few years ago [first 'real dives' after OW checkout in fact]. Scuba Diving in Hawaii with Kohala Divers

They were a fun friendly crew...good shop and parking right by the boat jetty. It's a bit of a jaunt up from Kona but worth the trip IMO. I'll be on the east side of the Big Island in February, and I plan to do at least one day of diving with them, just for old times sake... I don't know about manta dives away from Kona. It seems to me that you need a fairly large number of people and lights in the water, and once you get away from Kona, things thin out a bit. That's good tho'...I hate diving with crowds from other boats in the water [Cozumel....ugh] and the Kohala diving seemed more like an adventure, and less like Disneyland underwater. This is not to disparage the Manta dive, however...it's a great experience.

Thanks for the reply. I was thinking of diving with Kohala Divers for a few days and assumed I'd have to go to Kona for the night manta dive. Always good to hear from someone who has dove with them. Last year I dove with Kona Diving Co. and would recommend them as well. I might do a day dive in Kona too, it doesn't sound like the drive will be too much of a problem.

---------- Post added September 26th, 2013 at 10:40 PM ----------

Besides Kohala Divers there's Waikoloa Coast Divers - they keep their boat in A-bay - near the Hilton. Big Island Hawaii Diving on the Kona Kohala Coast with Waikoloa Divers

I'm fairly sure all the Manta dives leave from the Honokahau(sp) Harbor - it's likely where you did last time.

+1 for Kona Coast Divers.

Thanks for the reply. Yes, last year I stayed in Kona and dove with Kona Diving Co. and would recommend them as well. I might do a day dive in Kona this year too, it doesn't sound like the drive will be too much of a problem. I assumed I'd have to, or WANT to do the night dive in Kona - it was a very cool experience that I want to repeat!

We used Torpedotours and loved them... Husband and wife team!! Check them out!

Has anyone dove with Blue Wilderness Adventures, I believe they dive kohala coast. How easy is it to dive off a zodiac and get your tank change out? How rough is it sitting on a zodiac to your dive sites?

Has anyone dove with Blue Wilderness Adventures, I believe they dive kohala coast. How easy is it to dive off a zodiac and get your tank change out? How rough is it sitting on a zodiac to your dive sites?

We dove with Blue Wilderness Divers Sept 2013 in the Queen's Shops at Waikoloa Beach area. They do a manta night dive in Kona but they don't start until around 7pm when all the other boats are quitting. We were the ONLY dive boat in the area and the mantas were surrounding just us, it was awesome!

We also did several days of diving with them and did some really good dive sites in the Puako area and along the coast there. The lava tubes were so much fun.The Zodiac they use is pretty easy to get in and out of, they put a ladder down the side and you take off your BCD in the water and clip it to the side of the boat before you climb the ladder in just your wetsuit.I enjoyed talking with the DMs and the captain, they know the area well and didn't rush the dives.

RATS, I just saw that this originated in from Sept 2013!

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom