Kauai dive ops still running to Ni'ihau? Anyone interested in diving 9/30-10/6?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ElliottM

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
  1. I arrive in Kauai tomorrow and have a Ni'ihau trip scheduled 10/1. Are the conditions still supporting Ni'ihau dives?
  2. I will be available to dive 9/30-10/6. Anyone else going to be there and interested in maybe some shore diving? Staying in Kapa'a but willing to head north (Tunnels?) or south for dives. Please PM me if interested.

Who are you scheduled with?

It is certainly all but the end of the season over there at Niihau though Bubbles Below (332-REEF) and Seasports are still running. Bubbles actually goes on their 6 passenger boats year round conditions permitting. What I suggest looking at are the wind and surf conditions. If the north swell is up it tends to limit both vis' and dive options over at Niihau. The northern swell eliminates doing "Keyhole" which is the both the best drift/most advanced dive at the island (actually Lehua Rock where all but 2 of the "Niihau dives" are located). The swell can also eliminate "Neon Cave" and lower vis' at "Niihau Arches" and "Pu'u Mu" which are the lava tube dives on the northern end of Niihau. Wind is more of a comfort issue as it relates to a return trip from Niihau back to Kauai. If winds are 15-20mph or better you can expect a long lumpy return. Lighter winds are optimal for choosing the smaller more personalized boats in my opinion. Both staffs are good and run very similar charters. The north swell is actually what ultimately shuts down the diving at Niihau. At last check it looked ok for runs next week. Depending on your sea legs you should consider taking a little helper dose of Bonine etc.

Tunnels was very low vis all this week as I guided up there 3 days. The best vis at any point was about 20 feet though the 5-10ft vis was the norm early in the week. Any swell at all quickly lowers vis up there and adds to current. It's a great topography dive when conditions allow but swell and rain made it a less than ideal week.

Consider diving south at Koloa Landing if you get the chance! It is a great great great shore dive in Poipu. The critter roster today included..

Spotted Eagle Ray
Lined Frogfish
RARE Hawksbill Turtle
Dragon Moray Eels
Freckled Snake Eels
Octopus
Endemic Bandit Angel
Whitemargin and Blue Dragon Nudibranchs
Hawaiian Green Sea Turtles ......and more.

Feel free to send me a message with any specific questions regarding your dives here. Hope your diving is fantastic and your plans for Niihau work out. I was there 3 times earlier this month and the dives were all fantastic.

Aloha
A

Thanks for the info. I might have to add to my plans for this week. :)

Hawkwood - if you need anything and are doing the shore run at Koloa I'd be happy to let you borrow a gear carpet, weights, cooler, chairs or anything else that might make the day easier/more fun for you. Just give a shout my way.

A

Thanks for all the info. I will keep my fingers crossed for good weather on Tuesday, and I will check out the other dive spots.

ElliottM and Hawkwood - Aloha and Welcome to Kauai!!

I know I will be working the afternoon charters at Seasport this week, unless you guys would want to schedule a shore dive with me. I would highly recommend diving with Aquaman (Anthony) if you guys choose to dive with Fathom or on your own, he knows where everything at the Landing is right now!! (I want to dive with him too :) )

Like Aquaman has already offered - let us know what we can do to help your diving adventures be awesome!!!

Well, for some reason the dives scheduled for today were cancelled.

---------- Post added October 2nd, 2013 at 05:44 PM ----------

AquamanKauai,

Thanks for the great time today. It was nice to be in the water after four months since my surgery.

Looking forward to tomorrow's dives.

Bill

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom