Oceanic VT.1 - failure on 3rd dive - need help

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

hueydok

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Hello all. I am reaching out on this SB forum as I have been unsuccessful in getting a response from Oceanic, but know that Doug (and others) are quick to help our community. I have pasted below a copy of an email I sent to Oceanic back on August 17th - I have sent another one since then but received zero response on both. Note that the "hello" email address was the only one I could find on the Oceanic website but I suspect it is not the usual support address. I gave it 30+ days but really need this resolved so I can get back to work (using an ancient Dive Rite Nitek Plus with my Atom 3.1 - but the different algorithms are a pain to manage).

Anyway - I hope to get a response here as to next steps to return the failed VT4.1 and get a new one or swap it for something else, etc.

------------------ Beginning of original memo ----------------------

Date: Mon, Aug 19, 2013 at 9:01 PM
Subject: Failure of VT4.1 Computer
To: hello@oceanicusa.com

I am writing to let you know that my recent purchase of an Oceanic VT4.1 ended in disappointment on its 3rd dive. On its dive #3 (since new) the computer malfunctioned in that it did not register my depth changes (~100 ft) and seemed to assume I was stuck at a single depth...and so calculated NDL based on that depth until I ascended above 40 feet. Even worse, on the second dive of the same day (dive #4 since new), it appeared normal but upon re-entering the water it alarmed at less than 10 feet below the surface and stated I had a decompression obligation of 10 feet for 360 minutes!! Note that the computer had NOT reset F02 to Air (and I had the FO2 Default option disabled anyway), and no prior limitations had been reached. Fortunately I had deliberately splashed in with a second computer (an Atom 3.1) which worked flawlessly and allowed me to continue my dive, but I had to continue the rest of my dive work with a single computer.

I would like to know my options since I cannot dive this VT4.1 with any confidence. I am OK to replace it with another VT4.1, but may need a bit of assurance that mine was just an anomaly and everyone else's VT4.1 have hundreds of dives with no issues (I am a full-time working dive master and so must have absolute confidence in my gear). I also own the Oceanic Atom 3.1 and it has been rock solid.

I would appreciate your response and please advise on next steps. I am disappointed that the new Oceanic VT4.1 had such serious problems but remain hopeful we can get something arranged for a replacement. Details below:

Date of Purchase: 21 May 2013
Model Number: VT4.1 w/Trans, w/USB
Serial Number: DR-007109

Kind regards!

Will R.

I would call them keeping in mind that they're 3 hours behind us.

(800) 435-3483
(510) 562-0500 (Mon - Fri: 8am - 5pm, Pacific Time)

Where did you purchase the computer in the first place? Direct from Oceanic?

Apologies for our guys not getting back directly. They're on the go with their headsets - so it is best to get in touch by phone. I think that will be the best way from them to troubleshoot and/or arrange for return. 800-435-3483, ext. 760. If you have any questions or concerns - don't hesitate to contact me directly.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom