Nikon D100 with Fisheye?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

GeronimoDF

Contributor
Reaction score
Hello,
I am hoping you guys can help me out. I want to buy a wide angle lense, and wondering if I should get the Nikon 16mm Fisheye lense, or the Nikon 18MM lense? Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Daniel

Hello,

That should be decided by your subjects. Also note that there's something like 4-5+ different types of 'fisheye' lens on the market today, all results with different distortion.

Ed

When would you actually use a fisheye lense? I figured for wide angle shoots, the fisheye would be great. The macro is when you want to get close to the subject, fisheye for wide angle shots with a little bending. Do I have this right?

Danny

GeronimoDF:
When would you actually use a fisheye lense? I figured for wide angle shoots, the fisheye would be great. The macro is when you want to get close to the subject, fisheye for wide angle shots with a little bending. Do I have this right?

Danny

Hello,

This is a fisheye http://wetlands.simplyaquatics.com/images/Historic-Columbus/brick_clay

Note the walkway in reality is straight and does not bend and the pedastal is square.

Ed

GeronimoDF:

Danny

Read my post to your general question in "What lens ?" You are forgetting to take into account the 1.5 X multiplication factor shooting your D100. It's CCD is smaller than a standard 35MM film frame so your lens will act 1.5X longer. Shooting a 16mm "fisheye" on the D100 will be like a 24mm on a film camera; a decent WA but by no means super wide. Conversly a 105 macro will shoot like the 35MM equivalent of a 150; a little long to be hand holding. Thats one of the major drawbacks to the ~6MP DSLR's; it's hard to impossible to get a really wide lens. (Of course you can get some great tele's)

GeronimoDF:
Hello,
want to buy a wide angle lense, and wondering if I should get the Nikon 16mm Fisheye lense, or the Nikon 18MM lense? Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Daniel

Hi Daniel,

I used the Nikkor 16mm Fisheye on my D100 during a recent trip to Akumal, and was very happy with the results. It's a sweet lens, with just a bit of distortion as vertical objects get near the sides of the picture. Check out some of my Cavern Pictures that were taken with the 16mm lens. This should give you an idea what type of pictues to use this lens for and how it performs.

Good Luck,

Hi Geronimo,

If you want a bit more range, check out this lens:

http://www.bythom.com/1224lens.htm

I just ordered it along with my Fuji S2. I've also been emailing lots of people on digitaldiver.net and wetpixel.com who have the lens and who won't go back to a "standard" lens. It's supposed to be one of the sharpest lenses made by Nikon. But it's gonna set you back 1050 clams, if you can even find it. I had to search the net and call for a few weeks before I found a place that had it in stock. PM me if you want me to send you the site addresses.

Good luck.

Mar

marpacifica, reading the article that you linked, I have a quick question, it mentoned that the 12-24mm has angle of view of 61-99 degree (I assume he is talking land photography here). I am not sure about the terminology here. Consider most third party wetmount 67M wide angle lens for point and shoot digital will give you 90+ plus degree view underwater and 130+ degree view on land, I would think the 12-24mm
would be able to do something similar or better. 61-99 degree view on land would not be all that wide once you go underwater. Am I missing something here?

ssra30:
marpacifica, reading the article that you linked, I have a quick question, it mentoned that the 12-24mm has angle of view of 61-99 degree (I assume he is talking land photography here). I am not sure about the terminology here. Consider most third party wetmount 67M wide angle lens for point and shoot digital will give you 90+ plus degree view underwater and 130+ degree view on land, I would think the 12-24mm
would be able to do something similar or better. 61-99 degree view on land would not be all that wide once you go underwater. Am I missing something here?

I think I just need to start a new topic for this thread. Yes, you are missing the reason why it has a limited field of view. On a DSLR the 12-24 is only an "equvalent" 18-36mm film lens due to the smaller sensor compared to a 35mm film frame. You have to multiply your lens's focal length by 1.5 on a Nikon D100 or Fuji S2 Pro.

I realized the 1.5x magnification factor. However, I thought the DX series of lens, according to the article, took care of that by using a 1.5x angle of view conversion (whatever that is) to give a true 12-24mm angle of view.
I guess what I want to know exactly is the equavalent angle of view in degree conversion to mm lens. For example, for dSLR, what lens would I need to get true
90 degree angle of view underwater or better yet 130 degree angle of view as I would get with my Oly C5050 with Inon WAL/domeport.
I assume that sticking a 12-24mm into a domeport will increase the angle of view to a certain extent but just wondering what kind of coverage would I get.

Back
Top Bottom