finished my IANTD full tech Cave

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Instructor_Tom

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
after 15 overhead environment dives, 965 minutes of bottom time, in two different systems ( Ginnie and Peacock) I finally finished up my IANTD Cave cert this past weekend. funny thing is that we ran so many exits with instructor induced failures that by the end of the course I was more comfortable exiting in a lights out, share air drill than just exiting normally.

even so we still had a few unplanned failures/issues during the training.
1. flooded primary light.
2. several spool entanglements (always carry a backup)
3. buckle release entanglement
4. computer miss configuration

none of these would have been life threatening do to the redundancies but they did open our eyes to gear, gear configuration, and personal preferences. I'm actually working out a bungee system to tuck my travel bottles back out of the way.

I want to send a personal thank you to Jim and Marrisa for holding the doors open at Cave Country multiple times to let Rudy, Nic and I get gas fills in the evening and for helping to lighten the load in my wallet with all the fine toys i could not live without. speaking of which I'll be up there Nov 1st looking for a Xerotherm XL complete suit.

all in all it was extremely fulfilling with the catacombs at Ginnie and the peanut tunnel at Peacock being the most fun for me. playing tunnel rat was fun.

now all I need is 85 more successful cave dive to really consider myself a cave diver.

T.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Just FYI you need 100 post certification dives to count towards Abe Davis. The 15 training dives don't count. :) Congrats on your cert but 100 dives does not make one a cave diver. It's the lessons you learn along the way and the experiences you gain. Trust me I have learned many lessons, many the hard way. At 100 cave dives I just really started getting comfortable and it was then that I began to fully realize everything that my mentors and peers were trying to tell me all along about gaining experience before moving to the next level. A couple "coming to Jesus" moments also helped to put things in perspective. I have nearly 200 full cave dives now and I'm perfectly content in gaining experience before I move on to trimix, deep, or scooter cave dives. Plenty of cave to see without all that. Enjoy the journey, have fun, and be safe. Again congrats. :)

actually I need to get back in the devil and work at getting my working SAC rate down by reading the cave better and perfecting my power in the frog kick.

Congratulations! Welcome to the world of wet rock addicts . . .

I have been amazed, over the last five years, how many lessons the cave has to teach. I thought my Cave 1 instructor was a PITA about picking at every detail of how we had our gear put together, and how we did things, but just about everything he warned us we were setting ourselves up for has, at some point, happened . . . eventually I just gave up and did everything the way he wanted it :)

actually I need to get back in the devil and work at getting my working SAC rate down by reading the cave better and perfecting my power in the frog kick.

Improve your SAC rate by not swimming in Ginnie :wink: Once you get into the gallery head to the ceiling, I like pulling along the right side, there is no reason to try swimming against the flow.

The left side is where it's at. Get high enough, you don't even half to pull, the water will move you forward.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom