Scuba Caching is it for you?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

underH2Oman

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
How many of you would be interested in Scuba Caching?? There are only a few scuba caches in Ontario that I know of, and I was thinking about adding a few more but was wondering if there are many divers that may have an interest in scuba caching or are doing it now?

Let me know what you think about it and if you are participating where you find your potential locations from on the net.

I'd be interested. I have never done it underwater.

I always thought about setting something like that up in my area, however our locations aren't entirely conducive for it. Neat idea for sure. If logistically possible for our location I would have probably set out to start one.

To elaborate on my previous post: avid geocaching couple here, over 6000 caches found. We've found several underwater, some done on scuba (most recently in Pennsylvania), even though some of those were shallow and can be done without. We have also placed one simple scuba cache (which hasn't had any visitors this year, at least none that logged online).

Our main website of interest is geocaching.com, even though DEMA's divecaching movement promotes opencaching.com as "official" listing site for various reasons. As for placing new ones, there's lots of potential local spots, but with us being warm clear water vacation divers, we don't hit the local diving spots a whole lot.

Never played geocaching, but I'm intrigued. How would scubacaching work if gps doesn't work underwater?

it is great fun, did anyone ever get the sherkston one finally? we missed it 2 times.

Never played geocaching, but I'm intrigued. How would scubacaching work if gps doesn't work underwater?

It starts with using a GPS to locate a starting point where you would proceed to use compass navigation and clues to find the location. The GPS could send you to entry location on shore or perhaps a mooring location on the water. The description would include depth and other clues as to how to find it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom