Need memory tricks for Science of Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

johnmckenzie

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I am taking the Science of Diving (SSI) quiz soon. I need help with memory tricks, acronyms or mnemonics to remember which gas laws and principles apply to which scientist (e.g. Boyle, Archimedes, Charles, Guy-Lussacs, etc.)

I could also use help with tricks to remember formulas and constants.

You could use the method of loci (aka "Memory Palace") technique if you just want a trick to learn to remember the stuff. Here's instructions: How to Build a Memory Palace (with Sample) - wikiHow

Personally, I'd just study the materials and repeatedly take practice tests if they are available with SSI.

Personally, I'd just study the materials and repeatedly take practice tests if they are available with SSI.

This.

I am taking the Science of Diving (SSI) quiz soon. I need help with memory tricks, acronyms or mnemonics to remember which gas laws and principles apply to which scientist (e.g. Boyle, Archimedes, Charles, Guy-Lussacs, etc.)

I could also use help with tricks to remember formulas and constants.

Here's a couple of suggestions for remembering the old dead guys. It might not work for you but this is how I remember things when I have lists of names that have to be attached to concepts:

• Boyles (sounds like "boil"... which is a big pimple that will get larger and pop like a bubble if you don't remember this)
  • Archimedes (ancient greek guy. All ancient greek guys are marble statues... those sink and displace water... which means..? )
  • Charles (the C from Charles is the same as the C from Celsius ... that's temperature.... when you warm up a gas it ..... does what?)
  • Henry (The H from Henry is the H from Hunk. A hunk is a part... part = partial .... partial pressures)
  • Guy-Luyssac (Guy is a real man... sounds like a gigolo. Gigolo's pump. When you pump gas in a tank then .... ? when he blows his load and the pressure goes off then ....?) this is also a special case... he has two names and his law has two parts "pressure" and "temperature"
  • Dalton (Dalton sounds like delta. Delta is the difference... different parts... all the parts have to add up)

I don't know if any of that will work for you but in the weirdness of my brain it manages to stick :)

good luck.

R..

My favorite is for Boyle's law:

Breathe Or Your Lungs Explode , Stupid

Universal gas law PV=nRT
Pure Virgins are Never Raped Twice

just do enough examples so you memorise them.

if you haven't memorised them, refer above.

coming from someone who studied engineering at uni, it's the only way to properly remember equations.

Does SSI require you to actually know the names? Or "just" the laws and principles?

Other approaches . . .
The Dalton Gang (from the old west) = Dalton's Law regarding a group (gang) of gasses
Chalie's Angels's are HOT! = Charles's Law, Temperature vs. Volume (volume referring to another characteristic of the angels?)
Henry Weinhard's Beer fizzes when opened = Henry's law of dissolved gasses

Ask your instructor whether you can use a sheet of equations for the exam. The math on the Science of Diving exam is intense.

Archimedes is an archaic person. He lived for over two thousand years ago.

They had diving bells then (e.g. the Colimpha) and divers, and fine mechanics (Antikythera), and batteries, but unfortunately they had not invented the steam engine (as far as we know). Thus they had no need to develop gas laws. Gas laws are much much newer.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom