Suunto Stinger vs Oceanic Geo

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Locus

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I'm still considering purchasing a used Suunto Stinger, but would like to solicit opinions on which is better, the stinger or the geo (old style geo).

I may have bargained the seller of the stinger down to $215 with a fresh battery installed. That being said, I have also found a new Geo for $190.

How do these two computers rate against each other? Looking at the comparison chart on apnea.cz, I notice the stinger sells for a much higher price than the geo. Why is it so much more expensive?

Also, the chart makes note that on the stinger, "freedive longer than 5 minutes switches the watch to the Gauge mode, and it is not possible to return to Free mode within 48 hours"

What does this mean exactly? If I take the stinger to a depth below its surface threshold for longer than five minutes at a time in freedive mode, then it won't come out of gauge mode for two days? What is the difference between freedive mode and gauge mode? I'm just starting out with freediving and I don't foresee doing any 5+ minute dives anytime soon, so this might not actually matter much.

Back
Top Bottom