Roatan - Mary's Place Dive Video

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The one snug spot is at 2:54

The 3rd dive of our trip a couple weeks ago. Barefoot Divers was our OP. Very nice reef just not the best visibility that day.
Nice. Did you use your Archonlight while shooting it? I bought one inspired by your review of the light. Still have to take it under for real life testing.

Nice. Did you use your Archonlight while shooting it? I bought one inspired by your review of the light. Still have to take it under for real life testing.
I did use it a few times on the on the side walls of the crack but they where pretty void of anything interesting though. I probably devoted to much time to filming the walls instead of straight ahead.

The lights have been great. Incredible bang for the buck.

Last edited:
I did use it a few times on the on the side walls of the crack but they where pretty void of anything interesting though.

I used to think that, as well.

One trip through, I was with a local naturalist guide, the lady that draws the dive site maps that are for sale around the island. I had been through Mary's Place maybe 40 times previously for the prior 20 years, and I had seen nothing until she guided me through it.

Crummy picture, cool (and unusual) fish:

Some odd subset of the Quill Fin Blenny

The stuff she showed me that was lurking in the shadows was absolutely stunning and unique. By the end of the slot, i figured it was just a matter of using a flashlight and going slowly.

Then, just as we were popping out into direct sunlight, about where your video was just after 2:54, here these were in plain sight...

Had never noticed them until they were pointed out. Sun Zoanthids.

I do agree with your sentiment though. For us visiting divers, it's nothing more than a dark crack in a reef. Without her, I still can't find very much to look at! The dramatic architecture of the rock is photogenic and certainly proves to be a distraction from the otherwise similar reef structures of the South side. It is interesting to note, that many divers who have "become bored" with simple wall diving and find thrills in structure- they should take a moment and discover the much easier to detect critters living on the open, Sunlit South side walls. Mary's Place is of great attraction, but there is so much more that is missed along the "standard" vertical walls of that area.

Another fun piece of architecture along the South side, this one is quite a ways down East, is Calvin's Crack:

At 4:00 here is a perfect example of what I was talking about. The DM shows me something that in no way I would have noticed. I was too busy SCUBA Diving and filming a movie.

I agree. I really would like to see more critters myself. I'm not very good at all at spotting them. Filming pre-occupies my attention off of looking for smaller things. Maybe with more practice I'll start finding a few but as of now if it ain't big as hell, I probably won't notice it.:)

Luckily for me, the DM's on my dives pointed out a whole load of things I turned out filming.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom