Guam Dive Shops?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

UnderwaterArchy

Registered
Reaction score
Does anyone know some good dive shops in Guam? I thought I would do some research on the diving out there as it seems I might be moving out there as my Fiance has a job lined up. Since I am Canadian, the US gov't won't give me a visa to work there unless I am sponsered by a company so I figured I would spend my days diving. Thanks.

Chris

Guam Tropical Dive Shop and Micronesia Dive Association are the two I am most familiar with. I think both are PADI shops. Both have WEB sites which should be easy to find with a name search. Guam is a great place to dive!

The Micronesian Dive Association website is http://www.mdaguam.com

Diving is nice there. Not as spectacular or colorful as Palau, but I don't think you'll be disappointed. Definitely better than Hawaii. And you'll be just a short hop away from many of the wonderful dive sites of Micronesia and SE Asia.

Make sure to become an MDA 5-Star member (I think it costs $30, maybe $60). With it you get 5 boat dives and a good discount (20%?), even on sale items. Paid for itself after one days' boat diving.

Good luck.

MDA gets most of my business .... (5 star is $60 USD, and garners a 15% discount).

They offer a two tank dive EVERY morning (mostly full of tourists) and most days there is an additionl morning boat or an afternoon boat or a night dive (mostly locals).

We got reefs, wrecks, shallow and deep ... lots of wildlife. Never more than 30-45 minutes on the boat to get to any site, also lots of places with decent shore dives. And the water temp right now is 82 degrees :)

You all are making me home sick!! I spent a great 32 months on Guam about 10 years ago. The diving sure was better than here (Hawaii). Although, there are much worse places to be!!

I spent 7 weeks on Guam in 2003. While not Palau the diving is excellent. A number of good wrecks (not artificial reefs), and good coral reefs. There is a great range of diving from beginner to hardcore tech diving to 130 feet and beyond. January to March water temps ranged from 81 to 84 with up to 200 foot visibility (not every day)

I did all of my diving with MDA and the 5-star membership is a must! Hans, Allison, Sandy, Scotty, Jim and especially Pete make for a great diving experience. They are knowledgable, helpful and stress safety. They have Nitrox if you want and almost always have Morning and afternoon two tank half day trips every Saturday and Sunday. The boat trips generally range from $25 to $45 depending on the site. MDA does not normally have a divemaster tourguide on their "Local" dive boats so it is a good idea to get to know a local diver. MDA's "Local" dive boats skip the "tourist" spots so the diving is not overcrowded.

Guam is also Continental's Westen Pacific Hub with regular service to Palau, Cairns, Chuuk (Truk) and Yap, which makes for great dive trips!

Another good website for guam diving is http://www.scubaguam.com

chris,

diving is great here in guam. I am a stay at home dad currently. I know that there are some great places to dive here.
www.mdaguam.com

doesn't get any better than diving here!!!!!!!

Where else can u dive off a boat for 10 - 50 bucks?

kehenson

UnderwaterArchy:
Does anyone know some good dive shops in Guam? I thought I would do some research on the diving out there as it seems I might be moving out there as my Fiance has a job lined up. Since I am Canadian, the US gov't won't give me a visa to work there unless I am sponsered by a company so I figured I would spend my days diving. Thanks.

Chris

MDA is outstanding. I got certified with them back in '98. There are great beach dives at Gab Gab if you can talk your way onto the base.

I dove with MDA, best on the island. I don't agree with the diving being better then Hawaii though.

I'm split on whether Guam is better than Hawaii. My dives in Guam were better than the Big Island by a large margin and on par with my dives on the south side of Kauai. It is much cheaper to get to Hawaii but the water is warmer in Guam.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom