Magnetic Alternate and Compass Interferace

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JCoyne29

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I am new to diving and starting to research equipment in great detail before making my investment. I like the concept of your magnetic alternate however and worried that it's magnetic field will interfere with the compass. I welcome thoughts and comments
Thanks

I purchased Oceanic Octo Swiv when I started my scuba lessons. One of the reason that influenced my decision is the magnetic keeper.

The octo itself is a great octo. However, I ended up replacing the magnetic keeper with more traditional clip type.

The reason is not because of the magnetic field interfering with the compass. It is because the octo falls off too easily. Any movement to the octo hose causes it to fall off and it is quite annoying.

Reactions: Jax
Thanks for the response I appreciate the insight.
I could not help but notice your user name - so can I ask about your opinion on the Excursion II? I am looking at that BC as a part of my rig. Additionally, looking at the EOS and the PP3 to round it out.
I welcome your comments

I own an Excursion II. It is a great BC for tropical diving & traveling and I really love it. However, for cold water diving locally in NJ with 7mm wetsuit, I use Probe. I used to live in Chicago when I was young and I remember how cold lake Michigan is even in summer. If you plan to do a lot of divings in Chicago, it may not be a good choice.

When I started my scuba lessons, I also purchased EOS with FDX-10 first stage, and yes, I bought PP2 at same time. EOS is a pretty good regulator. Easy breathing if you adjust the knob properly. However, the size is a little big and a little heavy. It also tends to free flow easily when it is out of your mouth on surface.

I was attracted to EOS because it has a knob to adjust inhalation effort and another one for ventur switch. However, when I was newly certified, these adjustment knobs become a source of confusion and distraction in water. I was constantly trying to adjust it to obtain the "best" inhalation effort. It is not until I have about 30 dives I no longer feel the need to constantly make adjustments. Oceanic is coming out with Omega and Zeta regulators and according to my LDS, they are small and excellent regulators.

I replaced my PP2 with PP3 this year and dove with it at Cozumel. The large display of PP3 is really great for my old eyes in water. Easy to read even for night dive, just a glance is enough to see all important information. If you don't have a pair of sharp eyes as my teenage daughter, I highly recommend it.

Back
Top Bottom