Theia Liveaboard Maldives. A bad experience.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dora1900

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
It was only after returning from a great dive trip recently and writing a positive review that I felt I should write about the earlier (not so positive) trip. I’ve been on many liveaboards and have always had a ball (even on an old converted smelly ferry in Thailand) so I never thought a dive trip could be bad until this one.

Firstly I was met at the airport by the manager (Ali) who was looking at his watch when I approached him (my flight was a little late). There was no greeting, no hello, no smile, how was your flight - nothing. I didn’t think much of it at the time, but in retrospect it seems an odd way to greet a customer and I think reflects the tone of the whole trip. (And I later wondered why they make you wait at the airport for 4 hours when the liveaboard is anchored only 15mins away).

They completely forgot the rental equipment I ordered months prior, including sizes. What they did have was poor and didn’t fit or was damaged. I didn’t mind all this so much, but rather than apologise or even acknowledge it, after trying on several suits (one with the crutch torn out of it) I was curtly told by Ali if I didn’t settle for something I’d have to be taken off the liveaboard and into Mali (miss a dive day) to buy something! I don’t think I need to point out how ludicrous this suggestion was not to mention downright rude.

When I injured my foot, not one of the staff looked at it let alone offered assistance. I had to hop to the bar to get ice myself. It was other guests who came to my aid, bandaged it and gave me pain killers (I don’t actually recall seeing or being told where a first aid kit was). Later when I mentioned I suspected a fracture Ali said ‘No, you’d be in pain if that were the case.” (I found out when I got home it was fractured).

Over dinner I said I wasn’t sure I could dive the next day. I was surprised when Ali piped up and said he’d dive with me and if it was too painful we’d ascend. The first dive was ok but the second dive we had to swim against a strong current, I fell behind, Ali swam off and I was left to dive alone. Back on the boat I asked him what happened and he yelled “If you’re not fit to dive you shouldn’t be diving!” I wondered if the offer the night before was merely for appearances for the other guests present.

During another dive we were anchored quite close to an island resort and the security guard was indicating for us to move the boat back. Instead of handling it gracefully the dive staff on our boat decided to collectively “moon” the security guy as we drove off. I thought this was really unprofessional and felt sorry for the security guard. The guy was just doing his job.

The positives, the boat is really nice and new. The food was good and abundant. The crew, dive staff and ground staff prior to the trip were nice (although I noticed a lack of interaction between dive staff and guests unlike other trips where everyone mixes - staff seemed to keep to themselves).

In summary, whist the above are fairly small issues they all moulded together to create one big unpleasant trip. I also can't quite explain the cold, unfriendly atmosphere on the boat which made me feel unwelcome. I’m not saying others will have the same experience. I’m not even advising against booking with them. This was just my experience. But would I go with them again?: No. Frankly, I couldn’t wait to get off the boat.

An experience like this would make my vacation totally not worth the money. I am sorry you had to suffer this. Which dive operator was this? I must remember to be careful to avoid this one if I ever visit the Maldives

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk

It was only after returning from a great dive trip recently and writing a positive review that I felt I should write about the earlier (not so positive) trip. I’ve been on many liveaboards and have always had a ball (even on an old converted smelly ferry in Thailand) so I never thought a dive trip could be bad until this one.

Firstly I was met at the airport by the manager (Ali) who was looking at his watch when I approached him (my flight was a little late). There was no greeting, no hello, no smile, how was your flight - nothing. I didn’t think much of it at the time, but in retrospect it seems an odd way to greet a customer and I think reflects the tone of the whole trip. (And I later wondered why they make you wait at the airport for 4 hours when the liveaboard is anchored only 15mins away).

They completely forgot the rental equipment I ordered months prior, including sizes. What they did have was poor and didn’t fit or was damaged. I didn’t mind all this so much, but rather than apologise or even acknowledge it, after trying on several suits (one with the crutch torn out of it) I was curtly told by Ali if I didn’t settle for something I’d have to be taken off the liveaboard and into Mali (miss a dive day) to buy something! I don’t think I need to point out how ludicrous this suggestion was not to mention downright rude.

When I injured my foot, not one of the staff looked at it let alone offered assistance. I had to hop to the bar to get ice myself. It was other guests who came to my aid, bandaged it and gave me pain killers (I don’t actually recall seeing or being told where a first aid kit was). Later when I mentioned I suspected a fracture Ali said ‘No, you’d be in pain if that were the case.” (I found out when I got home it was fractured).

Over dinner I said I wasn’t sure I could dive the next day. I was surprised when Ali piped up and said he’d dive with me and if it was too painful we’d ascend. The first dive was ok but the second dive we had to swim against a strong current, I fell behind, Ali swam off and I was left to dive alone. Back on the boat I asked him what happened and he yelled “If you’re not fit to dive you shouldn’t be diving!” I wondered if the offer the night before was merely for appearances for the other guests present.

During another dive we were anchored quite close to an island resort and the security guard was indicating for us to move the boat back. Instead of handling it gracefully the dive staff on our boat decided to collectively “moon” the security guy as we drove off. I thought this was really unprofessional and felt sorry for the security guard. The guy was just doing his job.

The positives, the boat is really nice and new. The food was good and abundant. The crew, dive staff and ground staff prior to the trip were nice (although I noticed a lack of interaction between dive staff and guests unlike other trips where everyone mixes - staff seemed to keep to themselves).

In summary, whist the above are fairly small issues they all moulded together to create one big unpleasant trip. I also can't quite explain the cold, unfriendly atmosphere on the boat which made me feel unwelcome. I’m not saying others will have the same experience. I’m not even advising against booking with them. This was just my experience. But would I go with them again?: No. Frankly, I couldn’t wait to get off the boat.

I would like to know the dive company as well. I am planning to head that way very soon. If I have bad experiences, I also post them on Trip Advisor which has a big following as well.

Hi guys, it was the Theia liveaboard. Thanks for your sympathy. I should have posted this earlier as it was end last year but I'm told it's still the same owners at time of writing. At least my recent trip was a good one. My faith in dive trips has been restored. Happy diving.

Back
Top Bottom