Help Me Plan my Itineary on the Big Island

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

markymarc

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I plan to be on the BI in a few months from a Tues through a Monday. Fly back Tues.

So I was thinking:

Tues--2 tank dive, and an extra dive Manta evening
Wed--2 tank dive
Thurs--2 tank dive, finish by 2PM. Head to other side of island
Fri--Mt Kea
Sat--more hiking
Sun--head back and dive again (afternoon or evening)
Monday--chill
Tues--airplane

I am not how much time to set aside for the hiking, adventure part of the BI. I know it makes sense to do the hiking and mt Kea first due to elevation gain, but I really want to dive first to be honest and then use the hiking as a change of pace. I could dive 5 days in a row probably. Just want to see the other part of the island too.

I presume I cannot be in Kona all the time and then it is best to spend a few days in other lodging on the other side of the island? Would y'all agree?

What are the must sees hiking/adventure wise? How much time would you set aside?

Thanks,

Volcanoes National park is a "must see". It has some great hiking, including back country day hikes. Some of the trails are challenging, others fairly easy. You could set a week aside and not see all the park, or other areas on the Island.... you just need to decide what you want to do. The Big Island is big, and drive times are longer than many expect, but it looks like you have enough time to do a lot.

Be careful with elevation changes after your dives. Mauna Kea is just under 14,000 feet. Volcanoes National Park is around 4,000 feet. For example, if you do a 2 tank dive day on Thursday (from your itinerary above), be aware if you drive to Hilo you will encounter enough elevation change that you need to give it some forethought and planning. Do NOT drive over Saddle Road after a day of diving, the elevation gain is too much. Take one of the lower roads.

I do routinely drive back to Hilo after diving on the other side of the Island, but I finish my diving by 12:00, and do not begin my drive before 3:30 or 4:00, and have used the USN Table with the Ascent To Altitude Tables to estimate my exposure and limit the risk, and use the lowest elevation road available back to Hilo (go through Waimea).

Best wishes

@LeadTurn. Thanks for the info! How long does it take you to drive from Kailua-Kona to Hilo via Rt 19? I am guessing that is the route if you avoid Saddle Rd.

Thanks!

Going north (through Waimea) give yourself 2 and 1/2 hours (for traffic, rest stop, etc). It is a beautiful drive along the Hamakua coast, including waterfalls, so if you have the time you might want to make a day of it.

Best wishes.

You must go to kalapana! Its your best shot at seeing lava and the vibe is just amazing! Google Kalapana check it out! You should also take an extended Red Hill dive to south big island. South point was cool. Southernmost point in the US.

​​
I plan to be on the BI in a few months from a Tues through a Monday. Fly back Tues.

So I was thinking:

Tues--2 tank dive, and an extra dive Manta evening
Wed--2 tank dive
Thurs--2 tank dive, finish by 2PM. Head to other side of island
Fri--Mt Kea
Sat--more hiking
Sun--head back and dive again (afternoon or evening)
Monday--chill
Tues--airplane

I am not how much time to set aside for the hiking, adventure part of the BI. I know it makes sense to do the hiking and mt Kea first due to elevation gain, but I really want to dive first to be honest and then use the hiking as a change of pace. I could dive 5 days in a row probably. Just want to see the other part of the island too.

I presume I cannot be in Kona all the time and then it is best to spend a few days in other lodging on the other side of the island? Would y'all agree?

What are the must sees hiking/adventure wise? How much time would you set aside?

Thanks,
The letter below is from DAN and is specific to Mauna Kea elevations. My original question is at the bottom of the reply. And take note of road elevations. The cut off road to Mauna Kea is at 5000 feet! I will visit before I begin diving and if I choose to go again would not consider less than a 72 hours interval after several days of multiple dives. That being said, Mauna Kea is one of the most amazing places on the planet (for an unbelievable night sky) and an absolute must do.

David,

Thank you for contacting Medical Services of Divers Alert Network, and your commitment to dive safety. There are dive destinations that offer divers a variety of environments below and above the water. Divers can literally perform a series of dives in the morning, then in the afternoon visit the crater of a volcano. Most divers would not even think about boarding a plane sooner that the recommended wait-to-fly time. They don’t always recognize that driving to the crater of that volcano that takes them to 10,000 feet is the same as flying after diving. Physiologically there is no difference. Sometimes too, divers have to drive through a mountain pass that is higher than 2,000 feet to get to their intended dive site. They will have to drive back through the same pass after diving. The bottom line is to remember that altitude exposures are altitude exposures regardless of how you get there.

Regarding driving/climbing to altitudes after diving, a point to remember is that airplane cabin pressures are maintained between 2,000 and 8,000 feet even if the plane’s cruising altitude is higher. So while cruising at 30,000 feet, the cabin pressure does not exceed 8,000 feet. From a pressure standpoint:
• surface pressure = 1.0 atm
• 8,000 feet decreases pressure to approximately 0.71 atm (cabin pressure)
• 9,000 feet = 0.68 atm (Mauna Kea visitor center)
• 14,000 feet = 0.54 atm (Mauna Kea summit)

So the Mauna Kea visitor center has a relative pressure just slightly less than a commercial airliner, and the summit is a little over half of surface pressure. The generally recommended guideline is a surface interval of 18-24 hours from last dive to flying, and climbing to altitude should be treated in a similar fashion. With the reduction in pressure at summit, a suggested wait of 24 hours would not be unreasonable. Allowing more than minimum waiting time before and after diving may help you enjoy diving for many more years without incident.

Most importantly the guidelines apply to divers that have no symptoms. If there is any doubt as to whether or not a diver has symptoms they should be evaluated by a local dive physician before altitude changes, whether flying or climbing a mountain.

The following guidelines, which apply to commercial aircraft, provide divers with the option of reducing the waiting time after certain diving schedules. However, divers are still advised to wait at least 24 hours, if possible.

• A single dive within recreational no-stop limits 12 hours
• Multiple days/multiple recreational dives 18 hours
• Decompression diving (planned or unplanned) 24 - 48 hours

Please note these guidelines are not infallible. A substantial number of divers have suffered from bends after having waited longer than 24 hours before flying. Some divers have experienced symptoms even after waiting 48 hours to fly after extensive diving.

Frances

Frances Smith
DAN Medical Services
Divers Alert Network
6 W Colony Place
Durham, NC 27705
USA

919-684-2948 x 237
800-446-2671 x 237
FAX: 919-493-3040

--------------------------------------------
YOUR ORIGINAL MESSAGE
--------------------------------------------

I will be diving in Kona, HI in November. I am also planning to visit the observatories at Mauna Kea. The elevation at the visitor center is 9000' and the summit is at 14,000. What precautions would you recommend after diving. Is this the same as flying or more serious?
Thank you

You must go to kalapana! Its your best shot at seeing lava and the vibe is just amazing! Google Kalapana check it out! You should also take an extended Red Hill dive to south big island. South point was cool. Southernmost point in the US.

@Barrod--Can you share a bit more about Red Hill. It does not appear that all of the dive companies go out to that area? What did you like about it?

@Rambo2--Okay. Sounds like hiking first or a complete day off!

Go on amazon and search for frankos dive map big island hawaii. Nice walls, swim throughs, paradise pinnacle. Untouched reef. Big Island Divers does it. Please go to their website and look at the blackwater dive. I did that and not to be missed.

I don't know if you are interested but we have some great shore diving spots and Im always looking for an excuse to dive. I would be happy to dive with you on a shore dive maybe sunday afternoon. Just let me know. I know spots from north kohala to ho'okena in South Kona. Always looking for another dive buddy. Also I see you are in Virginia, Im a Virginia transplant to the big island. We have family in Northern Va. are.
Kevin

Hi,

We have been diving the Big Island for about 20 years and love it. You have not mentioned what dive shop you are planning to use, but I would like to be so bold as to recommend Pacific Rim Divers (PRD). Patrice, Walt, and David are excellent DMs and run a very efficient 6-diver boat. We have dived with Big Island Divers, Jack's and Sandwich Isle Divers over the years and have had good experiences with all--but tend to recommend PRD.

Our favorite shore dives are Puako (End of the Road) and Ke'ei Landing (off the Kealakekua Road); the latter is a bit tough to find and, in my opinion, requires a pickup truck or FWD to get to. Any of the dive shops in Kailua can rent you tanks and give you directions.

Aloha nui loa,

joewr

Back
Top Bottom