Drysuit venting -

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

letterboy

I'm the reasonable one
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
John,

The drysuit was not flooded. The vent *may* have been open which *may* have caused it to vent unintentionally during an ascent. It has also not been established that she tried to make an ascent. That idea may have come from a theory I suggested early on in the thread.

When the rescuers cut open the drysuit to apply the AED the undergarment and her chest were dry.

R..

I didn't think it was, in this case.

I have on more then one occasion I have started a decent with my vent open all the way. painful until I realize Wth the issue is....

as was said before, I think this may be the longest accident thread without mud slinging...

I have on more then one occasion I have started a decent with my vent open all the way. painful until I realize Wth the issue is....

I assume you meant "ascent" instead of "descent"? I always do my descents with the valve open -- it's hard to initiate them any other way :)

Of course, I do my ASCENTS with the valve open, too. If you do them in a horizontal position, it's not an issue.

I assume you meant "ascent" instead of "descent"? I always do my descents with the valve open -- it's hard to initiate them any other way :)

Of course, I do my ASCENTS with the valve open, too. If you do them in a horizontal position, it's not an issue.
No, descents... if the valve is open when I reach depth, anything below a few feet really, the boys tend to get grumpy from the squeeze, so I added air on descent to keep them happy... With the vent open the added air vents as it goes in... thus the trouble with squeeze on my part.

I usually do the open neck seal squat and push the air out of my suit before the dive. it works most times to allow me to descend a bit before needing too add air. (first few feet I usually pull down the line if I am a tad bouyant....

My valve is never closed. As Lynne says if you dive in a horizontal position and ascend and descend that way adding air should not vent out. At the most I may turn it a 1/4 - 1/2 turn closed. Full closure takes at least 2 full turns. I want that valve open should I have to vent air. Never more than enough to take the squeeze off.

My valve is never closed. As Lynne says if you dive in a horizontal position and ascend and descend that way adding air should not vent out. At the most I may turn it a 1/4 - 1/2 turn closed. Full closure takes at least 2 full turns. I want that valve open should I have to vent air. Never more than enough to take the squeeze off.

I normally dive with mine open too. People who don't normally dive in drysuits should be made aware that this is a very common practice and that Quero mentioning that she had the valve on "automatic" was in no way inherently dangerous or even unusual.

R..

Yeah . . . I do my descents either horizontal or head down, so I don't need to close the valve. If you do them feet down, though, I can see a very uncomfortable squeeze ensuing!

Lynne, could you cut these into a new thread, in basic/advanced maybe?

I dont wanna be THE cause of a sidetrack...

Thanks.

I agree with latest posts, I dive with my DS valve "open-automatic" during the descent, ascent and swimming around. I try to be horizontal as much as possible. The only time I close it off is when I intend to float at the surface for a bit, especially if I doff my gear to get back into a small boat.

I never close mine,either. I also descend either horizontal or head first.
I have a wrist valve and I'm considering getting mine moved to the shoulder or adding a second. I'm assuming this isn't difficult and might even be something I could do myself?

I have been taught both methods, with valve opened partially for the entire dive, and the second method of opening and closing the valve fully as needed. I found the partially open valve worked best for me, but I am not a terribly experienced dry suit diver, and still learning.

Back
Top Bottom