Paya Bay Resort Roatan

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

parrotman

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Can anyone tell me anything about Paya Bay? I have not been able to find much about it other than their website, which looks pretty good but we all know how websites can be.

Thanks

parrotman:
Can anyone tell me anything about Paya Bay? I have not been able to find much about it other than their website, which looks pretty good but we all know how websites can be

The views and beachfront are indeed spectacular.

Undoubtedly, the lack of guests adds to the spotty service.

North Side diving is iffy. Other North side resorts including AKR, BIBR and IoLR at least have the option of repositioning their boat on the South side. I would NOT want to make the dash for Morat or Barbareta in the boat that they picture- and there's no other way to get there. (quote: the legendary Pigeon Cays are a mere 1hr and 20 mins away". Legendary they may be, but I wouldn't recommend the comfort of that crossing).

Do some searches here and on Google groups. I don't think you'll find many divers with positive experiences- of the very few who have been there.

It does have the only secluded natural beach on Roatan. Although oficially prohibited on Roatan- I think you can lay naked on the beach.

(Unfortunately?) Most of the positive all inclusive dive experiences available on Roatan are from the established larger operations.

Paya Bay is very beautiful, the owners very warm and friendly and the food is very good. However, if you want to do anything other than beach activities or boat dives while on Roatan this probably isn't the place for you. The reef is not very close to the shore at this end of the island so a shore dive would involve a very long swim. Also the road to Paya Bay is not paved all the way and depending on time of year can be pretty bad. If you want to go do the nightlife thing (what little there is can be found mostly at West End) or the shopping/ touristy things they are all at the other end of the island and you will have to rent a car (there is no taxi service to that end of the island). Wyndam Resorts has announced a "VIVA" resort will be built nearby along with a world class golf course at this end of the island. Power is now available to this side of the island and these new developments will be requiring the road to be paved- in a few years Paya Bay will have a lot more activities near by. If you want a quiet, peaceful, romantic "get away from it all" kind of place this would be an excellent choice. If that isn't what you had in mind- you probably should look at other options.

mjnansen:
Wyndam Resorts has announced a "VIVA" resort will be built nearby along with a world class golf course at this end of the island
On one site, roatanpropertylistings, they put this pipedream way way way East on the South side in a theoretical town known as Port Royal. If they currently have RECO supplied electrical power, it has got to be very spotty. If there's a road, you'll need a Jeep and winch on a good day. This is where Plastico Flamingo, the opera singer, has his estate. He's got a hopticopter.

On another site, condohotelcenter, they show a nifty aerial view of the purported Wyndham property demarcated by a dotted line showing it on the oh-so-popular (and over populated) West Bay/West End Beach area.

Well placed contacts at Wyndham do confirm that a seperate entity d.b.a. VIVA has indeed lit the fuse on this project, but unsure as to exact location.

My guess? If you are even considering a golf course, I'd say it's in Port Royal. More swampy but less mountainous and lots cheaper.

Roatan is one of those places that we'll talk about like we talk about the way Cayman was in 1970. Watch it change at lightning speed!

Remember when AKR was the only "resort" on Roatan and no paved roads or runways, and when cozumel was a sleepy little island where very few spoke or understood english where you could cram 10 people in a "Thing" and drive all over the island and hardly see any cars :crying: . I guess we could go on and on. Aaahhh progress.

Back
Top Bottom