SPG routed with BC inflator

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

krame

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hey all,

I have a question for those that have selected to route their SPG alongside the BC inflator.

Any comments or suggestions?

I have done a search for this topic, and there seem to be two threads pertaining to this method. Most of the replies were made by people who have not actually tried this routing.

I really want to like this method, and I'm really temped to try it, as it's easy enough to buy a new hose.

Thanks!

Mark

I have known several divers who preferred it using the standard hose, but all of them were tall guys. Why not just try it with the hose you have? It may not be ideal for you but will give you a better idea if a different hose length is worth a try.

Hey all,

I have a question for those that have selected to route their SPG alongside the BC inflator.

Any comments or suggestions?
Most of the replies were made by people who have not actually tried this routing.

I really want to like this method, and I'm really temped to try it, as it's easy enough to buy a new hose.

I tried it with my 23" hose, and it worked fine. I tried clipping it to my left chest D-ring (under the arm) and it worked fine. Now I leave it clipped to my waist D-ring, and it works fine.

Last edited:
I route it over my shoulder and then Velcro it tight the hoses that go to my inflater/deflator. I use a long hose primary that goes under my right arm and then up and around my neck. My octo goes over my right shoulder and is clipped to my bcd strap with a quick disconnect. When I cross my arms all everything is trapped in front of me by my arms and available for easy access. I brief my buddy (when I have one and I am not simply tailing or leading a dive) that I donate the one out of my mouth if necessary. I am always looking for the easiest, most efficient way to do anything I do (more out of laziness than anything else probably LOL)and this is soooooo easy to check gauges or share air that it is almost idiot proof.....even I can do it.

I like to dive my modern rig this way. As stated. it makes spg checking (by me and my buddy) very easy. I just wrap regular length hose around the tank once so it orients along the wing inflator. If you look at 1:53-2:00 and 2:15-2:20 of this video you will see it. Even viewing the video thumbnail on this page you can read my pressure.

[video=youtube;XIds7HVLvmo]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XIds7HVLvmo&feature=c4-overview&list=UU5zvhnU0XYpf_cadpYJYkhQ[/video]

Also, look here at some of the pictures in the gallery: H2O Madness Adventures

Ive dived his way for years both single tank and technical setup. Works well for me. Im average height and just use a short length hose as opposed to the huge looping ones some people seem to like.
I used to have it clipped to a hip D-ring but found this method far neater.

I considered doing that but decided not to because the SPG is mounted in a console with a compass that I extend in front of me to NAV. My concern was putting too much strain on the flex hose during NAV and pulling it off the BC. I clip the HP hose to my left shoulder strap and hang it from a large locking retractor clipped to a D-ring on my harness belt.

That's how my student gear is set up and it works great for them. I dive with a transponder, so I don't have a hose.

If you do a search you will discussions on doing this type of rigging. There are a few cons typically mentioned.

If the LP hose begins leaking it may be difficult to determine which hose is the problem hose to bend in to two to slow/stop the flow.

Two reg hoses with the corrugated hose may too stiff to easily lift to dump air thus may require one to assume a more vertical position in the water column.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom