updated instructional materials

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Davanna

New
Reaction score
I am YMCA certified from many years ago and would like to know where I can get updated course literature for certification for my personal review?

---------- Post added October 28th, 2013 at 02:54 PM ----------

Anyone certified through YMCA can upgrade their card to SEI Diving by contacting the office (see the SEI Diving website, SEI Diving). We currently use the text Scuba Diving, 4th ed. by Dennis Graver. This is the best basic text available in the US and uses the SEI Diving dive tables (which are very similar to the last version of the YMCA dive tables). Getting information on the open water (or any other) course e.g., curricula, might be harder to do. There is a suggested curriculum published by the agency but as always each Instructor is also able to write their own. I use my own materials including workbook, homework, Power Point slides but I do not share these with student since they have some intrinsic value. Regarding certification procedures, etc. those are in the SEI Diving Standards and Procedures. I would call the office in Muncie with questions.

As Dan stated we are free to offer a greatly expanded course that in our opinion would be of the most benefit to the students we have in our areas.

I use a number of training materials I have created for my own students on Gas Management, Buddy Skills, Accident Management, Equipment, and a few other areas. I also use a book that I published myself in 2011 titled "SCUBA: A Practical Guide for the New Diver."

Except for the book which I sell all the other articles and handouts used in my class are free for the asking. These were written to improve diver safety, skills, and knowledge and as such feel a duty to share them free of charge.

And agree that Graver's Scuba Diving 4th edition is the go to text for any OW diver. Not just YMCA/SEI divers. Along with mine of course as a supplement.:wink:

Back
Top Bottom